BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2006 Honda S2000.....It was a bit of an impulse buy...I really didn't need another car (I already have 2 cars, one for me, and 1 for the wife), but the price was right, insurance is practically free. I picked it up on Friday. Loving it!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Shoof said:
insurance is practically free. I picked it up on Friday.
Nice choice. :thumbup:

Just wondering, how is insurance practically free on a Honda in NY? Is it because it's a third car and you won't be driving it much?

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
PhilH said:
Nice choice. :thumbup:

Just wondering, how is insurance practically free on a Honda in NY? Is it because it's a third car and you won't be driving it much?
I bet that's it. Our Z4 is the cheapest car in our house to insure because it was the last car added and thus gets calculated as a 3rd car.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Great choice! The s2k is my first choice as a roadster if I had to buy it although Honda has a thing for making questionable facelifts (I prefer pre-facelift, with the 2 liter engine). Good color, now just find some aftermarket parts :thumbup:

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
S2000

Very nice toy. I like the color too. Will you mod, back road run and or track the car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've got too many toys to spend money on.

My wife drives the X3 primarily, and it's stock other than the clear bumper protection, tinted windows and Dice iPod integration. She drives it 99% of the time, so I won't be doing much else to it.

My other car is a Scion xB which I modified a bit. It doesn't have much more "go" than stock, but it does handle like a go-cart now. The last toy is a '66 Mustang that I've had for 6-7 years, I've been trying to restore it, but now I really don't have the time or money to finish it, so unfortunately i'm considering selling it. I had to have invested well over $15k in it and it still looks like a POS. :(

As for the S2000, I truly enjoy this car just the way it is. There are a few things I would love to change, but I can live with it. I'm all about the low, agressive look on a nice set of wheels (not too big), and a nice exhaust note. I thought for a moment that the exhaust is a tad on the raspy/quiet side, but that's only because I've been trying to keep the revs under 5500. I did venture north of that a few times and the exhaust note does come to life. Then again, My xB has an exhaust, and I've been driving that every day, so something a little quieter could always be a good thing. I know the car would look that much better if it was dropped slightly, but it's low/stiff enough for me already, so I'm keeping that as is.

Small possibility I may sell the xB too, but not sure yet, because that's my work car, and as much as I enjoy driving the S2000 every day much more, It's really only a 3 season car, so I don't know yet what i'm going to do about that.
My only complaints about the S2k is the rear tires are a pinch narrower than the rim(even with the rim guard on the tires), get too close to a curb and it's all over, and related to that same issue, tilt-down side view mirrors would have been nice to help prevent that. Lastly, the radio has a nice cover that you can keep closed and control the audio with buttons at close reach. I'd like to know what station I'm listening to, or what track I'm on without having to open up the cover every time. And speaking of the open cover, the edge of it is about a half inch from my right knee, so one wrong move and ouch! The only thing I may add to it is XM satellite radio, as I have it in my other car and enjoy it very much.

I've driven many different types of convertibles, Z3/Z4, SLK, SL, CLK, 3 series, 911/Boxster etc... and none of them even come close to the feel of this car. It feels like it's wired to my brain. Everything about the drive is so perfect. I thought the low torque would make the car a dog at lower speeds, but so far it's been above satisfactory to me (then again i've been driving a 107 hp Scion in 5 speed for the last 16 mos). I can't wait for the wear in period to come and go so I can really open her up! Did 250 so far, only 350 miles to go!

Lastly, regarding insurance, I'm a used car dealer and leasing company/broker. I have dealer insurance on my premises, inventory and personal cars. I added it onto that policy, I had to make a slight adjustment to the policy to make it work on the S2k, and it's only costing me $50 more per year. I did check how much it would be to add it to my personal auto policy that I have with Allstate, it actually came up to be about $600/year more than my X3 and my brother's 525i that's on my policy. Both the X3 and 525i are within $50 of each other. At that point I did the lease under the business and am going to register it that way... Can't go wrong!

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Shoof said:
As for the S2000, I truly enjoy this car just the way it is. There are a few things I would love to change, but I can live with it. I'm all about the low, agressive look on a nice set of wheels (not too big), and a nice exhaust note. I thought for a moment that the exhaust is a tad on the raspy/quiet side, but that's only because I've been trying to keep the revs under 5500. I did venture north of that a few times and the exhaust note does come to life.
Oh boy, you have yet to get to the fun part of the rev band. The wail from that engine 6000-8000rpm is phenomenal, as is the thrust. That's when the i-VTEC kicks in pretty hard, you really get moving, and the exhaust note can be heard blocks away and IMO, is second only to the M3's exhaust note. Under 6k, its kinda bleh..........

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nice choice. I had a 2001. I'm glad you didn't pick it to mod. MDC may not know this but they are notoriously hard to mod. You don't get squat out of intake/exhaust mods and raising the already-high rev limit is dangerous. For the longest time the Comptech s/c was alone in the market for a serious adder (oh, and the insanely expensive Spoon racing engines). Now a handful of custom turbo set-ups are around.

Your new favorite site should be s2ki.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts