1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellas, new trip itinerary. Suggestions are welcome as always :thumbup:

Pickup F10, Welt Tour, Relax in Munich
Day 1: Pickup Winter Tires 9am, head to Salzburg, spend the night
Day 2: Head to Venice, spend the night
Day 3: Head to Milan or Como and spend the night (Optional, may stay in Venice)
Day 4: Head to Fussen to see the castles and spend the night
Day 5: Back to Munich,
Day 6: Drop off tires and car, fly home.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Munich,+Germany&daddr=Salzburg,+Austria+to:Venice,+italy+to:Milan,+Italy+to:Neuschwanstein+Castle,+Neuschwansteinstra%C3%9Fe,+Schwangau,+Germany+to:Munich,+Germany&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=46.769968,11.403809&spn=4.025625,10.821533&sll=46.769968,11.403809&sspn=4.025625,10.821533&geocode=FXaL3gIdGrOwACnZX4yj-XWeRzF9mLF9SrgMAQ%3BFdKD2QIdIjTHACmx1Aip3Zp2RzE99ypBoYPhwQ%3BFeBFtQIdYEa8ACkfb1JTCq9-RzGwX5EVhwkHBA%3BFYG4tQIdSzOMACk9o6HLTMGGRzGQGnttVt4wpg%3BFbGs1QIdngekACGju53Ta4amyA%3BFXaL3gIdGrOwACnZX4yj-XWeRzF9mLF9SrgMAQ&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=h&z=7

· Registered
6,142 Posts

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Munich,+Germany&daddr=Salzburg,+Austria+to:Venice,+italy+to:Milan,+Italy+to:Neuschwanstein+Castle,+Neuschwansteinstra%C3%9Fe,+Schwangau,+Germany+to:Munich,+Germany&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=46.769968,11.403809&spn=4.025625,10.821533&sll=46.769968,11.403809&sspn=4.025625,10.821533&geocode=FXaL3gIdGrOwACnZX4yj-XWeRzF9mLF9SrgMAQ%3BFdKD2QIdIjTHACmx1Aip3Zp2RzE99ypBoYPhwQ%3BFeBFtQIdYEa8ACkfb1JTCq9-RzGwX5EVhwkHBA%3BFYG4tQIdSzOMACk9o6HLTMGGRzGQGnttVt4wpg%3BFbGs1QIdngekACGju53Ta4amyA%3BFXaL3gIdGrOwACnZX4yj-XWeRzF9mLF9SrgMAQ&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=h&z=7
:thumbup:
Como is 50 min drive from Milan. You can spend 2-4 hr in Milan tour Duoma and shopping and get to Como for lunch.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
:thumbup:
Como is 50 min drive from Milan. You can spend 2-4 hr in Milan tour Duoma and shopping and get to Como for lunch.
...except that driving into and out of Milan is a real pain. It can also be costly. Read the Wiki about the ZTL.

We have spend a whirlwind 1.5 days (1 nite) in Venice, but it was my third trip and Ms. b-y's second. We timed it like an invasion, spent a lot of money, and had a good time--basically turning an overnight stop on the way to Florence into a fun sidetrip. But I would not recommend it for a first visit. Our schedule was something like:

Day 1, 11 am: arrive near Piazale Roma, handed car off to parking service. (We had called in advance. The fee was approx EUR 30 for the one night.) They drove us to the vaporetto stop.

noon: check into the Danieli, thank them for the canal-front room upgrade. Meet with concierge. Book private trip to Murano factory; make dinner plans.

1 pm: walk around to a bar for a light lunch. Pick one out-of-the-way church for a visit before we needed to be back for the launch.

5 pm: Relax at the hotel bar. Brief nap and off to a late dinner.

Day 2, 8:30 am: Breakfast included at the PTS rate. Hike over to the Doge's Palace for the "behind the scenes tour".

noon: check-out, light lunch, vapoertto to be met by the parking service people.

1:30 pm: off to Florence.

The major thing to realize is that this omits a visit to St. Marks, any of the Scoula, churches on the other islands, the new and old ghettos, etc., etc. So the question is whether you want to miss all that (and, of course, whether you want to spend the money for just one day).

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the timed info, it really helps plan the day better. I was wondering, do you guys usually have hotels pre-booked or just wing it?

· Registered
250 Posts
For a November trip you can probably wing it, but I love to swing over to tripadvisor.com and find some neat boutique place to try. Particularly in Venice, where it's hard to actually find addresses, having something set up in advance is probably a good plan.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I've been doing most of my time, with my ED date coming up soon, I've been researching alot on Tripadvisor and of course reading through you guy's ED reports and taking your advices :thumbup:

For a November trip you can probably wing it, but I love to swing over to tripadvisor.com and find some neat boutique place to try. Particularly in Venice, where it's hard to actually find addresses, having something set up in advance is probably a good plan.

· Registered
631 Posts
skip driving into Milan. it's a traffic disaster and the F10 is too big for a lot of roads. If you are bent on going into Milan, Stay in Como and take the train.

· Aviator
3,070 Posts
skip driving into milan. It's a traffic disaster and the f10 is too big for a lot of roads. If you are bent on going into milan, stay in como and take the train.
+1000

· Registered
1,118 Posts
skip driving into Milan. it's a traffic disaster and the F10 is too big for a lot of roads. If you are bent on going into Milan, Stay in Como and take the train.
Agreed. We parked in Monza and took the train from there. There is a public car-park directly across the street from the train station in Monza. Easy-peasy...:thumbup: Milan is a nice place to visit.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I actually was thinking about staying in Como, is there a hotel with safe parking near a train station that I could take to Milan?

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone think 2 days in each Salzburg and 2 days in Füssen is too much?

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A lot of changes in plans but this is pretty much keeping driving to a minimum to keep the family happy:

Pickup F10, Welt Tour, Marienplatz
Day 1: Pickup Winter Tires 10am, head to Salzburg, spend the night
Day 2: Tour Salzburg some more, spend 2nd night
Day 3: Head to Fussen to see the castles and spend the night
Day 4: Tour Fussen some more, spend 2nd night
Day 5: Drive back to Munich, spend the last night in Munich
Day 6: Early Drop off of tires and car, fly home.

Do you guys think I can squeeze in another location in between? Or just take it slow and spend more time as I've listed above?

· Registered
250 Posts
Salzburg to Fussen is not that long a drive. You should definitely do something along the way. Maybe stop at Herrenchiemsee (another of Ludwig's castles, takes a ferry ride to get to) or Linderhof if they're open (this season you may not be able to). Another option might be swinging south through Innsbruck. It's not a ton of sightseeing, but that could be great for a mid-drive meal and shopping break.

The castles themselves take less than a full day to do. But if you hang out in the area, something I've wanted to do before is the nearby Tegelberg cable car (a nearby mountain which reportedly has amazing views. It also has skiing if you're into that).

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another option might be swinging south through Innsbruck. It's not a ton of sightseeing, but that could be great for a mid-drive meal and shopping break.
Thanks for the great suggestions, I googled it and it's the same distance to stop by Innsbruck or not so definitely will stop by and visit the Goldenes Dachl and that place with the big face and waterfall coming out of it's mouth Crystal Welt?

· Registered
37 Posts
A lot of changes in plans but this is pretty much keeping driving to a minimum to keep the family happy:

Pickup F10, Welt Tour, Marienplatz
Day 1: Pickup Winter Tires 10am, head to Salzburg, spend the night
Day 2: Tour Salzburg some more, spend 2nd night
Day 3: Head to Fussen to see the castles and spend the night
Day 4: Tour Fussen some more, spend 2nd night
Day 5: Drive back to Munich, spend the last night in Munich
Day 6: Early Drop off of tires and car, fly home.

Do you guys think I can squeeze in another location in between? Or just take it slow and spend more time as I've listed above?
The time you have listed for Salzburg is about right. Don't think you need any more than that. Tour the fortress and Hellbrunn Palace, but would skip Mirabell gardens (mediocre). Otherwise, just walking around the city is awesome. Definitely Believe in using Tripadvisor, good luck with the planning.

· Registered
322 Posts
Does anyone think 2 days in each Salzburg and 2 days in Füssen is too much?
Need only one day in Fussen. My wife and I drove in from Rothenburg in the evening (check out the Wieskirche on the drive), spent the night in the Hotel Sonne. The next morning we got up, toured the castle, and then drove over to Linderhof castle (well worth the drive), and then drove to Salzburg via Innsbruck. We got to Salzburg (Berchtesgaden) before sunset.

Have you considered driving up the Romantic Road (or the Autobahn if want to spend more time sightseeing) on your second day in Fussen, head to Rothenburg ob der Tauber - for the night? It's a nice drive between the two cities, and Rothenburg is a great walled city. Spending the night in Rothenburg is ideal as you can sightsee in the mornings before the crowds show up.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great suggestions! Im also staying at Hotel Sonne and have 1 night left that i need to make a hotel reservation for. Will definitely look into Rothenburg. Thanks! :thumbup:
Need only one day in Fussen. My wife and I drove in from Rothenburg in the evening (check out the Wieskirche on the drive), spent the night in the Hotel Sonne. The next morning we got up, toured the castle, and then drove over to Linderhof castle (well worth the drive), and then drove to Salzburg via Innsbruck. We got to Salzburg (Berchtesgaden) before sunset.

Have you considered driving up the Romantic Road (or the Autobahn if want to spend more time sightseeing) on your second day in Fussen, head to Rothenburg ob der Tauber - for the night? It's a nice drive between the two cities, and Rothenburg is a great walled city. Spending the night in Rothenburg is ideal as you can sightsee in the mornings before the crowds show up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.