BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for those enthusiasts out there figure i would post to share

i have been using the 0w-30 bmw shell/penzoil platinum oil for last couple of years
great product and its derived out of natural gas which makes it cleaner

i have been researching Liqui-moly with a lot of great reviews

i know there other additive cera-tec is a great product as well

they recently came out with a next generation oil called moly-gen
it comes in 5w-30 bought 2 5 liters from online

had a indy garage change it with filter for 65 bucks

so far sounds little quieter and car is running a smidge cooler than before

ill update with more findings i am curious on start up in morning if its sounds better than the way it has been sounding with the shell oil
well seee stay tuned

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
i know there other additive ceratic is a great product as well
Cera Tec® is a simple hexagonal Boron Nitride - h-BN - lubricant additive. Cubic Boron Nitride - c-BN - is a remarkable almost dramond hard ABRASIVE.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doug seems like your educated on it
have u used it?
any thoughts of it added to the oil to make the new product for friction reduction

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
BN has been around for years. Claims of new technology are snake oil.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
Learn about The 3,000 Mile Myth. Legislation is coming.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
every 7500 no matter what oil

sometimes 5k when i have time off with work

as fyi the master mechanic told me again yesterday the main reason for the timing belt guide issue is from sludge and long intervals for oil changes
he was mentioning a lot has to do with it is the way the car was treated when new if it did the crazy long intervals

im rolling the dice my car has 115k i love it and it runs like new

·
Registered
197 Posts
every 7500 no matter what oil

sometimes 5k when i have time off with work

as fyi the master mechanic told me again yesterday the main reason for the timing belt guide issue is from sludge and long intervals for oil changes
he was mentioning a lot has to do with it is the way the car was treated when new if it did the crazy long intervals

im rolling the dice my car has 115k i love it and it runs like new
I'll keep my fingers cross too. I purchased it CPO with 3500 miles on it, and always changed the oil at 7500 with every other one being the dealer.

I also baby the vehicle when i drive it.

Most of the cars i've owned have gone over 200k. my wifes car has 244k.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good luck the more i own it the more i appreciate it
not perfect but the car has a lot of great things that are underappreciated

i drove a 2019 lexus es350 other night for 53,000 and i was impressed
i like my car better and its worth 8500

keeping it and i baby it like u and get on it on highway to make sure i dont baby it too much and to this day not one ounce of carbon build up that's detectable

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting observations 1 day in and 200 miles

the car on start in a.m. is quieter
the care seems smoother with throttle inputs

getting around 1.5 mpg more around town than i did couple days ago

hmmmmmmmmm
houston we have a oil that may be a keeper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting. I've been looking at the liquid molly oil for a while. Would you happen to know if the bmw Genuine orginal oil is good oil or is it just a way for bmw to make more money and brands like castrol and liquid molly actually have better benefits?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interesting. I've been looking at the liquid molly oil for a while. Would you happen to know if the bmw Genuine orginal oil is good oil or is it just a way for bmw to make more money and brands like castrol and liquid molly actually have better benefits?
What's your definition of a good oil? Engine lasting over 200,000 miles? Surviving 15,000 - 20,000 miles between changes? If that's your definition of a good oil, then the BMW oil is a good oil.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi titcklelmo, the oil bmw uses is actually great,

its shells penzpoil platinum oil its very good its derived from natural gas so its cleaner than most synthetics

i just researched liqui moly and a lot of reviews with vw and subaru race guys use it, and then they commented on mpg better and quieter

and after a day its my findings.

when you change the oil every 6-7k there all good.

research this MolyGen stuff it has friction inhibitors like tungsten and one other that is what increase mpg

what impressed me is the the normal sound from our n55 or n20 motors are pretty loud creatures,
i get the sense its quiet by at least 20% from other day.

for 40 bucks for the oil and it cost me 74$ for vehicle inspection, oil change, fluid topped, and oil filter seems like a no brainer to me

and as fyi where i was most concerned its the environment in az in summer i drive to, i was thinking the shell with ow-30 is not giving me what i wanted with extreme heat

thats another thing the car is running a tick less hot

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the oil filter

What's your definition of a good oil? Engine lasting over 200,000 miles? Surviving 15,000 - 20,000 miles between changes? If that's your definition of a good oil, then the BMW oil is a good oil.

is the issue dont go over 10k with standard filter

the pennzoil oil bmw is using from shell is one of the best

i get the sense this liqui moly stuff is hard to beat

also make sure you get bottles made in germany some of it is sold not from germany

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pretty much haha. But if the oil was that good why would anyone choose other brands? Play it safe with BMW oil. It's only a few dollars more.

But like what bmwlover said he's getting about 1.5mpg better with the liquid molly. So if liquid molly or Castrol oil gets the same engine life lasting as the BMW oil but they get 1.5mpg better that would be considered better oil and more benefits.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh thanks haha. The other site says lifetime Warrenty on all products. I came across another thread on here and some people were saying that they use the oil and send it back them and get new oil for free. Of course you'll have to spend $10 to ship it back to them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts