BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought my first BMW last week, a 2008 535XI, lots of power, nice and roomy, I thought I had finally made it to the big leagues as my previous car is an 01' Accord. Well it made it one whole week without issues:

Yesterday I got its oil changed (yes I made sure they used 5W30 Euro Synthetic) and hopped on the highway after, not a full half hour of highway driving later the car lost most of its power (I think the ECU might've even kicked itself into neutral but am not sure), and proceeded to start spewing volumes of white smoke out of the tailpipe closest to the driver's side. There was a ton of white smoke, it literally covered a good portion of the highway. The check engine light was on and flashing and I immediately pulled over and shut it down. I had it towed to a mechanic who will look at it on Monday.

Just curious if anyone had any idea of what it might be? I'm thinking probably head gasket (I have seen on here things about CCV valve failing and the like as well), but I'm wondering if the people at the oil change place messed something up that caused it to burn a good portion of the 6.9 quarts that engine takes. There wasn't any significant oil spray in the engine compartment as far as I could tell. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
667 Posts
could be one of 3 things with the N54:
Blown head gasket (smoke smells like coolant)
Blown turbo seals (smoke smells like oil)
Bad injectors ( smoke smells like fuel, which could possibly kill the cats)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, it does smell like oil, any idea of the cost of new turbo seals? Also anyone have any mechanics in the Michigan area to recommend?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure about cost of seals; the turbos will probably need complete rebuild or outright replacement. If replacing, prob looking at $2500-3K maybe including parts +labor? I'd search to see if there is a turbo rebuilder nearby that you could send in your cores for exchange. A new set from ECS tuning will run about $1800.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...9lP6k1Z91BN7OEH2wfbBtyi6DqsHJDWr8UaAoID8P8HAQ

I'd wait to see what your mechanic says. Hopefully it's something simple. Good luck...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all,
I recently bought my first BMW last week, a 2008 535XI, lots of power, nice and roomy, I thought I had finally made it to the big leagues as my previous car is an 01' Accord. Well it made it one whole week without issues:

Yesterday I got its oil changed (yes I made sure they used 5W30 Euro Synthetic) and hopped on the highway after, not a full half hour of highway driving later the car lost most of its power (I think the ECU might've even kicked itself into neutral but am not sure), and proceeded to start spewing volumes of white smoke out of the tailpipe closest to the driver's side. There was a ton of white smoke, it literally covered a good portion of the highway. The check engine light was on and flashing and I immediately pulled over and shut it down. I had it towed to a mechanic who will look at it on Monday.

Just curious if anyone had any idea of what it might be? I'm thinking probably head gasket (I have seen on here things about CCV valve failing and the like as well), but I'm wondering if the people at the oil change place messed something up that caused it to burn a good portion of the 6.9 quarts that engine takes. There wasn't any significant oil spray in the engine compartment as far as I could tell. Any advice would be appreciated!
Last week?? Go fight that **** at the dealer why would u even try to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

That's too much of coincidence to me.
wonder if the shop over filleld the oil.

in any rate good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts