BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may know I replaced my Vanos seals. My 01 530 since I bought her has had days where she felt sluggish and some days felt really great. Well after the Vanos seals she is always feeling great. Those days that felt like their was a loss of power are gone - it was literally almost like an on and off switch. Like a turbo charged engine before boost(to those who are familiar) and during. If you haven't swapped the Vanos seals yet please do so :thumbup:

· Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,079 Posts
Ughh... I will get to this one of these days. I wanted to do the cooling system at the same time, though...

· Registered
2,182 Posts
Another testament for Vanos seals :thumbup:
I have them done in both of my BMWs

· Registered
2,182 Posts
^too bad, you miss out on the "mental errection" :p

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I had exactly the same thoughts yesterday. I took a drive up the Blackfoot River, a nice smooth winding road out of town. When my car hits about 3500 rpm it feels like the after burner kicks in and it howls and flies. And, I was thinking boy am I glad I changed my VANOS seals because if I hadn't I wouldn't be having this experience. It is hard to remember exactly how it was 3 years ago before I did it, but, it was a lot less peppy.

· BMW ****ie
1,906 Posts
So as some of you may know I replaced my Vanos seals. My 01 530 since I bought her has had days where she felt sluggish and some days felt really great. Well after the Vanos seals she is always feeling great. Those days that felt like their was a loss of power are gone - it was literally almost like an on and off switch. Like a turbo charged engine before boost(to those who are familiar) and during. If you haven't swapped the Vanos seals yet please do so :thumbup:
Good for you. Have not done mine yet. :bawling: . I'm at 102k miles. The power seems impressive to me (nothing to compare her to though).

Q) How many miles were on her when you changed the VANO seals?

Q) Can you ballpark how many miles were on her when you noticed the "sluggish" feeling?

Q) How long did it take?

Q) Any nuance "lessons learned" or things to look out for?

I want a mental erection too :rofl:

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you guys do the 200 mile city driving break in? I need to get on the highway soon and only put 40ish city miles since the swap.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seemyad I swapped them at 142k a few days ago. The car didn't really feel sluggish it felt like it had less power some days and that was since I got her at 119k in February. The entire job while taking a few time outs from frustration PLUS an oil change took about 5-6 hours.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I did mine at about 95K not because I was having any noticable problems, but, because I was doing the VCG and thought I might as well do the VANOS at the same time. I immediately was aware of improved performance. I didn't pay much attention to the 200 mile brake in. I drove some fast, some slow; pretty normal.

· Registered
305 Posts
Hands down the best thing I have done to my car, performance-wise, is VANOS. Pulls like a champ since I did that.

· Registered
595 Posts

· Registered
6,964 Posts
Sorry for being a bit thick, but what is VANOS?
Noob
Tha double Vanos is a variable timing mechanism on the M54 engine. Earlier M52 engines used a single Vanos. BMW used the incorrect choice of rubber when designing the Vanos O-rings (think Challenger... only we don't go BOOM!). The original Buna rubber gets hard and brittle when exposed to heat and oil. This causes the Vanos cylinders to leak and perform poorly in a variety of ways. Beisan replaced the O rings using a different material (Viton), which restores Vanos performance and does not degrade. This is simply one of the single best things you can do for any E39, at any price. Visit the Beisan website for detailed info.

Rajaie is Da Man! :bow:

· Thebizzy.com
6,524 Posts
I was at an exhaust shop last week getting my Acura done and the guy there has a 540. Said he's been in contact with Rajae from Beisan and will be working with him to do some of the 1st vanos testing and installation on a 540. It's coming ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.