Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I figured it was time for new VANOS solenoids on the 535xi. It's the N54, Being a klutz, I didn't see the old "O" ring stuck in the engine when I installed the new solenoids. I got a VANOS error when I started the car to test. I pulled the solenoids and can see with an Endoscope part of the "O" ring in the chamber. I grabbed it with long nosed pliers but it was stuck solid.
Now that I have removed the valve cover, the part of "O" ring has disappeared. Should I simply reassemble and pray?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Paul

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
That's a pretty small oring. It'll get torn apart and wash down to the oil pan, most likely. Too small to clog the oil intake. If you've examined the top end and it's gone (eg, not in the Vanos gearing etc), it's in the pan or a few pieces in the filter. I would't worry about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to agree with previous post. I been working on BMW for a long time, and small rubber ring like that will be just fine in there. If it gets torn a part then it may even was out with few oil changes.

So I figured it was time for new VANOS solenoids on the 535xi. It's the N54, Being a klutz, I didn't see the old "O" ring stuck in the engine when I installed the new solenoids. I got a VANOS error when I started the car to test. I pulled the solenoids and can see with an Endoscope part of the "O" ring in the chamber. I grabbed it with long nosed pliers but it was stuck solid.
Now that I have removed the valve cover, the part of "O" ring has disappeared. Should I simply reassemble and pray?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts