BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my new rims and tires today. I have to say that they look pretty good for a winter setup. I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's and Sport Edition rims. I feared that the rim might not clear the brakes, but they fit perfectly (very little clearance though). The Dunlops are far more responsive in the dry than my previous Blizzak LM-22, which were not very good in the snow either.

Now I can't wait until it snows. :thumbup:

Barely any clearance

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks good!!

Can' t say I share your enthusiasm for the snow though:thumbdwn:

WHere did you get the "sports" from? Tirerack? How much? hubcentric?

I've been looking for something up here in Canada but choices are limited. Kinda picky as I don't want the car to look lousy for the 5 months they will be on.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,204 Posts
Very nice....they look "proper" on an E46 :), and easy to clean, as well.

Are they 16"ers ? Or 17s ? I agree, the stability provided by the Dunlop M3s are a night & day difference from those crappy Blizzaks.... I was amazed by the secure feeling they imparted to the car.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good!!

Can' t say I share your enthusiasm for the snow though:thumbdwn:

WHere did you get the "sports" from? Tirerack? How much? hubcentric?

I've been looking for something up here in Canada but choices are limited. Kinda picky as I don't want the car to look lousy for the 5 months they will be on.
The rims are Sport Edition A7 from Tirerack. $93 a pop for the 16" ers, and they are hubcentric. I had tirerack deliver it to a recommended installer in Tonawanda, NY just an hour from Toronto. I saved roughly $500-$700 on the tires and rims, over buying the same setup anywhere in Canada. Tires here are rip off at almost double the price. Maybe you should consider doing something similar

·
Registered
572 Posts
booo for reminding me i have to change to my winter tires too, yesterday was t-shirt like weather, today i have to wear a sweater and jacket. you caused this OP, booo; not cool, really not cool man..

at least they dont look like this, good thing they have winter tires.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The rims are Sport Edition A7 from Tirerack. $93 a pop for the 16" ers, and they are hubcentric. I had tirerack deliver it to a recommended installer in Tonawanda, NY just an hour from Toronto. I saved roughly $500-$700 on the tires and rims, over buying the same setup anywhere in Canada. Tires here are rip off at almost double the price. Maybe you should consider doing something similar
I've got the winters already (Hankook 225/45/17) just need wheels. Maybe I could get them shipped to Spokane and then come up with an excuse to go there and have them put on. Problem is, when you cross the border with tires in your car, the Canadian Customs guys get a bit "testy". They might make me pay duty on the value of the whole car!!

·
B +
382 Posts
You have the exact same setup that I do. :thumbup: You will not be disappointed ! Only one more month of summer tires for me. :(

·
Keeping it surreal
43,204 Posts
I've got the winters already (Hankook 225/45/17) just need wheels. Maybe I could get them shipped to Spokane and then come up with an excuse to go there and have them put on. Problem is, when you cross the border with tires in your car, the Canadian Customs guys get a bit "testy". They might make me pay duty on the value of the whole car!!
So, you put one summer wheel/tire down in the spare tire compartment, throw another one into the trunk (just say "that`s my spare tire"), and ship the other two home by UPS....how much duty could they charge for old, used wheels/tires with diminished value ?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid the tax on the rims and tires across the border, still saved $500-$700. The shop that tire rack delivers too does not have to install it. You can just grab the rims and leave, and get them installed in BC.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I paid the tax on the rims and tires across the border, still saved $500-$700. The shop that tire rack delivers too does not have to install it. You can just grab the rims and leave, and get them installed in BC.
If I get them from Tirerack, I will likely just have them shipped here. 10 hours driving and the border hassle (installed or not) just isn't worth it. Their prices are good but the shipping to here is $250US so it is puts the price up a fair bit (+$60 per wheel).

I've found some pretty nice after markets in Vancouver that are a copy of the M6 double 5 spoke. +35 offset and hubcentric. Machined face with gunmetal. Look pretty nice but too fancy for winter. I'd have to make my OEM my winters. It's a thought.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have the exact same setup that I do. :thumbup: You will not be disappointed ! Only one more month of summer tires for me. :(
I remembered the pics you posted previously of your winter wheels and I really liked the look.

Now I gotta get some new tires for the summer. I'm leaning towards the Sumitomo's HTR Z 3. Heard some good reviews and they're cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts