BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since mounting my new Nokian R winter tires I notice the DSC blinks more frequently when accelerating hard on dry clear road surfaces. With the softer silicon based rubber compound and warmer temps (well abover freezing) I would have expected a huge increase in traction and therefore far less likelyhood of the DSC blinking. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very interested in your thoughts as the response is contrary to the logical expectation. :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire size of all 4 were the same as the summer tires I removed (235/45 17)....

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm confused. My DSC never "blinks". What does it mean if the DSC blinks?
bluebee it means that your traction control is working and trying to keep the cars wheels from spinning freely while under acceleration/turning.
it happens often under hard acceleration, mostly wet conditions

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....just to be clear the reference to "hard acceleration" is not to be confused with "attempted wheel spinning" ....

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
My Hakkas are like silly putty over 10°C***8230;.squealing and whining and carrying on under the slightest provocation. That's why they're not going on until average highs are <8°C. I can't remember the model, as they're in another house (like all my important stuff, when I need it)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Since mounting my new Nokian R winter tires I notice the DSC blinks more frequently when accelerating hard on dry clear road surfaces. With the softer silicon based rubber compound and warmer temps (well abover freezing) I would have expected a huge increase in traction and therefore far less likelyhood of the DSC blinking. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very interested in your thoughts as the response is contrary to the logical expectation. :confused:
This is normal for snow tires. The deep tread flexes a lot and the DSC sees this as different wheel speed. Sometimes the tires are more slippery when new to a compound they use to get the tire out of the mold. Also soft rubber does not mean it is sticky rubber.

Generally winter tires suck in the:
-Dry
-Wet
-Warm >10 deg C

They are good (better than all seasons) in:
-Snow
-Ice
-Cold < 10 deg C

Wait until the snow hits. You will love the grip you will have compared to the "I can get by on all seasons" people.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Max VQ brings up a good point. New tires are always a little "greasy". I find within a couple hundred clicks, they get better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good points Max VQ the tread on my summer Toyo's was warn vs the new tread on the Nokian's, as well the tread design coupled with the deeper tread would make the tire response less firm. Good news is the DSC is clearly working well and very sensitive...comforting to know it's working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts