BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
:bow::beerchug::banana::clap:

Thank you John for stepping up and set :thumbup: this up for fellow bimmerfesters. You are the man!!!

I will make this a sticky thread. Thank you!!:)

beewang:bigpimp:
Forum Moderator

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
That answers a lot of questions. BMW has stepped up big time to support the ED program, and I hope it continues.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
That answers a lot of questions. BMW has stepped up big time to support the ED program, and I hope it continues.
This is not through BMW, but a member here on Bimmerfest. He is continuing the tradition of helping those that want to take delivery in Munich. As Beewang operates a nav loaner system, John has arranged the same for tires and other items. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the way I interpreted it. All the same thanks John for getting things rolling as it were!

Best of luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S. Another words, I pick up the car, have the tires replaced to the new winter tires that I will have bought, not rented, then return the car as is and have the original tires shipped back to U.S. This option would be good for those of us who need to buy winter tires anyway. Although with current exchange rate, who knows.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S. Another words, I pick up the car, have the tires replaced to the new winter tires that I will have bought, not rented, then return the car as is and have the original tires shipped back to U.S. This option would be good for those of us who need to buy winter tires anyway. Although with current exchange rate, who knows.
The shipping of a set of Winter Tires costs around 400 Euros. As you say, with the current exchange rate it's probably cheaper for you to buy your permanent set of Winter tires in the USA!

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S.
Not possible and won't happen.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
New Winter Tires Rental Program.
John, I think this is a great idea.

Now, if we hook you and Rolf up together, it will be EDENTERPRISES.COM. :angel:

And we'll let you sell copies of my calendar too of course :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
This is really quite incredible. Looking at the list, are you sure you can get 16's on a 550i?
550i requires 17" tires.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,696 Posts
I was working from the official BMW price list on which it says 550i and 16 inch tires. I am still awaiting the final list of tire sizes from the depot.
I would recommend you also look at Tire Rack. I spoke to someone there and also to Bridgestone and they told me 17" was the smallest for my car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
sensors

John,
Not sure if it's already a part of the work, but 2007 and later models with flat tires require the TMPS sensor monitors. Those can be taken from the oem wheels or can come separetely

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Great Idea! And great (so far anyway) execution!

One word of advice: on the rates page, it details the mounting and unmounting of "tires" rather than wheel/tire combination. Many people might get confused that you'll be pulling the summer rubber off of the OEM wheels and mounting/balancing winter rubber. You may want to clarify that it is a simple wheel/tire swap to avoid a flood of repetitive emails.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great Idea! And great (so far anyway) execution!

One word of advice: on the rates page, it details the mounting and unmounting of "tires" rather than wheel/tire combination. Many people might get confused that you'll be pulling the summer rubber off of the OEM wheels and mounting/balancing winter rubber. You may want to clarify that it is a simple wheel/tire swap to avoid a flood of repetitive emails.
Thank you for this, I will have the information amended accordingly. Any other comments about the website are gratefully received!

1 - 20 of 206 Posts