BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1.9 to commute to work and as all used cars it needs a little luv here and there. I came from a 24V E30 and am pretty handy with a wrench. The issues I have I think are likely common problems all Z's suffer from ( at least E30's are that way). First the A/C is no bueno, I popped the hood and it is missing the belt so I plan on slapping a belt on there tomorrow and filling it with some R134a and hoping for the best. Secondly I have a few interior issues. The lid on the console is busted, pass door only opens from inside, both seats wiggle back and forth a few inches, glove kinda sags, neither mirror works drivers just clicks when the button is moved, and the windows roll down SLOOOOOOW, but up ok not super agile but faster than they go down. And I think it needs new RSM's. Car seems to be outfitted with an alarm but as with most used cars no transmitter.
Insight, options, suggestions? I am planning on upgrading the lighting, not a fan of the tails, and was wondering if there are different side grills avail more like the ///M version and options for a roll bar.
TIA

·
Registered
767 Posts
....both seats wiggle back and forth a few inches, ...
Just did this fix over the weekend. The rubber bushings in the shuttle attached to the threaded seat rods disintegrates in about 30k miles. I used Whalen's Delrin bushings to replace the rubber bushings. Not extremely difficult, but time consuming.

Whalen Shift Machine Bushings

glove kinda sags....
I did this fix using the eBay kit. You can also get a bar from the hardware store and drill it out yourself.

eBay Glovebox Kit

Car seems to be outfitted with an alarm but as with most used cars no transmitter.
The transmitter is on the passenger side above the glovebox (far right - black box with wire antenna).

...options for a roll bar.
TIA
There is a kit for adding hoops if you don't have any (around $600 discounted). You can also look at HardDog rollbars.

HardDog Rollbars

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you kind sirs! I will be tackling the windows this weekend and investigating my mirrors when I get the panel off.:thumbup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd purchase the window slides, before you take off the door panels, they are cheap and I've replaced mine twice....easy day. I made my own seat bushings from alum stock from Home Depot (I'll send you my power point), recommend you get the glove fix from ebay unless you are good at fabing metal... it's not hard but the spaceing of the holes has to be spot on or it'll slip out. there is a guy on ebay who sells the roll bar hoops, complete with trim pieces if you want....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...m14QQhashZitem290235177917QQitemZ290235177917

PM him and tell him Dave from Huntsville directed you to him and he'll give you a great price.

GL

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey kudos and thanks to you guys for helping me out. Today one of my friends in the local BMW club and I pulled the panels and fixed the door handle on the pass side, found two wires pulled out of the mirror switch plug and re soldered them in the pins, and lubed the window slides and now all the above works great. Bracket for the A/C should arrive tomorrow, and I will get on that ASAP. It is so hot here I am red as a lobster already. :rofl:
E90 shifter is en route and should arrive next week also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts