BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a ’99 328i - White, automatic (boo). Love the car. I have just a couple of quick newbie questions. I have searched on some and read the wiki, so don’t haze me.

On cold mornings, how long do you allow the car to warm up?

The water pump and radiator are new, but I think the previous owner used the wrong kind of antifreeze, because it’s the green stuff. Is this accurate? If so, how detrimental is it to have it drained and flushed before winter months set in?

The power steering pump (I think it’s the psp) is whining. When I bought it, the psp fluid was low so I topped it off, but it didn’t remedy the whining. Does this mean the psp is on it’s last leg or what? I had the car inspected by a local Indie mech. Awesome mechanic who has worked on nothing but BMW’s for over 20 years. He topped it off with fluid so I assumed it was ATF. But if it wasn’t , would it still be whining?

The front Control Arm Bushings need replaced. I’d like to do it myself, but don’t have a lift. I only have access to a jack and jack stands. What level of difficulty is this job for a newbie do it yourselfer? I’m fairly mechanically inclined as I did first echelon maintenance in the Marine Corps on Humvee’s and 7 tons.

Lastly, I don’t need new tires right now, but for ****s and giggles I called for a price quote for slightly used tires with 90% tread still remaining. For a set of 4 – 16” the guy quoted me $258. Not bad - just wondering if anyone here has had much luck with pull-offs.

Thanks for any advice…

·
Registered
682 Posts
Generally you can wait a minute for the seconday air pump to shut off and then drive the car smoothly and keep the RPM's under 3000 until about 10 minutes into your drive.

At this point you can leave the coolant if you so choose. Some purists may say to flush it, but there are others who have been running non-BMW specific coolant for years with no issues. Really up to you.

The whining, are you sure it isn't a pulley on its way out? If you want to be absolutely sure its ATF, you can use a turkey baster to suck out fluids and refresh. Then turn wheel lock to lock and repeat. This will clear out most everything in your system.

Control arms shouldn't be a problem as long as you support the car properly. Don't really need a lift, just be careful.

No idea about the tires. Maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. Just the other day I replaced a front blinker - When removing the housing, the plastic latch that you're supposed to press down on while removing the housing was already broken, so it just slides in and out without securing itself. Hence, it's a great excuse to get clear corners too. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Some may not agree but Depo is the general supplier for the aftermarket turn signals. Just find a pair on ebay. Gonna be the exact same ones you get from the vendors, but cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Welcome to the fest.

I never waited to warm up my E46, just drove off.

$258 for a set of tires is a great price.

I agree with the whine comment, it might be a noisy pulley, especially if it's worse when it's cold out.

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,255 Posts
Congrats on the new car! Even though she's an auto she's still a bimmer and OK in my book!

How cold is cold? In freezing conditions the car can take a while to warm up.

Some would call me purist when it comes to coolant. I only run BMW blue coolant in all of my bimmers.

Check the pulley on the pump that's probably what is causing the whine.

The CABs are pretty straight forward we did mine on jack stands, a lift makes the job easier but it's doable on stands. If you need the parts I have a kit set up ready to go with new bolts and cabs right HERE

Awesome.. Thanks. That's an awesome Before/After.. Where did you purchase new headlight covers? Mine are cloudy...
I have the genuine BMW replacement lenses right HERE. But give them a polish before you replace them some times you can get lucky.

ECS Tuning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.