BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI newbie here and would like to change my battery but reading online is getting me intimidated based on the following questions.
1. would I need to "reprogram" the new battery? For example, if I get a Duralast Platinum ?
2. confused about the size, Auto zone pulled a couple of different sized, H6 and H8 would both fit?
3. is it worth it to get AGM?
4. I'm worry about this whole vent issue. On my old battery now I can see a hose coming out of the batter. Is it as simple as just unplugging this and putting it onto the new batter?
5. What I'm really worry about is that after I jump my car the 4x4 light is on and bunch others. I tried reseting it by turning the wheel all the way to the left then right several times, droved it around but the ligthts are still on so I'm wondering if this is just due to a bad battery and if the new could rectify it.

thanks in advance -- much appreciate it.

Here is a picture I took. I drew a yellow circle around the hose.

Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No need to be intimidated.
1. No need to program.
2. H8 is the appropriate size. Of course you could always go with H6 or H7 but will be undersized in the tray.
3. In my experience AGM tends to last longer. That being said I went with walmart evermaxx and have been going 3 years strong on my daily.
4. The vent hose is simply pull out and stick back in. Nothing to worry about there. Nothing to screw up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that makes me feel better. Do you think the new battery will also fix the inability to reset the warning lights ( eg 4x4, brake, etc) I tried many times to reset by driving it around, turning wheel left then right but it is still there. thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks that makes me feel better. Do you think the new battery will also fix the inability to reset the warning lights ( eg 4x4, brake, etc) I tried many times to reset by driving it around, turning wheel left then right but it is still there. thanks.
If turning the wheel lock-to-lock gets rid of the warning light sometimes, then you need a new Steering Angle Sensor. Scan for codes and you will probably have SAS signal codes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No need to be intimidated.
1. No need to program.
2. H8 is the appropriate size. Of course you could always go with H6 or H7 but will be undersized in the tray.
3. In my experience AGM tends to last longer. That being said I went with walmart evermaxx and have been going 3 years strong on my daily.
4. The vent hose is simply pull out and stick back in. Nothing to worry about there. Nothing to screw up.
I have also gone with the Walmart Evermaxx H8 and would recommend. Great warranty and really easy to do. I had to do a warranty exchange after my battery went flat after an extreme polar vortex. Took it to walmart, they tested it, found it faulty, and replaced in store. Even got a couple bucks back.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
In regards to the vent tube...make sure you KEEP the little black elbow that is attached to the tube/hose. Most replacement batteries will NOT come with a replacement elbow...and if you throw it away with the old battery...the tube will not connect directly to the new battery. The little black elbow is required to attach the tube to the battery. ;)

If you do happen to lose the little black elbow...make your way to the parts department at your local BMW dealership and purchase a new one...it doesn't cost much...but again, you will need it to connect the tube.

At one point the Duralast 49/H8 battery used to come with the little black elbow attached in a little plastic baggy:

White Sleeve Pink Red Material property

Vent tube w/black elbow still attached:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Bumper Automotive exterior

Also make sure you PLUG the hole on the negative terminal side of the battery. If you leave it unplugged...it will allow out-gases from the battery to build up inside your battery compartment even though you have the tube hooked up on the other side. Look closely at the covers on the battery terminal to see if the battery's manufacturer provided a spare plug to put in the hole on the other side:

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

(vent tube goes into hole on one side of the battery...BUT also plug hole on other side of the battery)

Audio equipment Gas Electrical wiring Machine Gadget

Reactions: dukedkt442

·
Anti-Hack
7,969 Posts
AGM in X3s are unnecessary IMO. There’s no IBS, no stop-start. The factory BMW AGM batteries lasted me 3 years each, meanwhile I still have the ‘16 LA battery I got from Advance that I use as a portable jump-box. It had lots of life left in it for use in the car when I replaced it in ‘20. No need to spend more money for a battery that offers less life.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
101 Posts
My x3 2010 got battery from dealer for $400 with promotion (regularly $540, battery $200). My old one lasted more 4 years. I think they didn’t reset it. Anyway i reset it with INPA. My battery might be still good since liquid is still green. I changed battery to chase starting problem. Your 4x4 light might be plastic gear in transfer case worn out.

·
Anti-Hack
7,969 Posts
Impossible. E83 doesn’t have IBS, so there’s nothing to reset; INPA didn’t reset anything as far as the battery is concerned.

Lead acid battery from FLAPS for $160 will last 5-6 years.

4x4 lights have codes. Don’t chase problems, either read codes or diagnose based on hard data. Simple.

Via the interwebs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts