BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Im a newbie to the BMW world. Used to drive a Lexus but recently got a 1997 BMW 528i. I love it so far.

I need some work done and Im not a DIY'er. I don't even have the tools to start doing the work I need.

I need upper timing cover gasket and valve cover gasket job. I also have a thermostat housing I want installed.

Can anyone recommend a good indy in the North Atlanta market?

Any help from you guys is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
recommend a good indy in the North Atlanta
We get this question all the time.

If you get someone local, use what they recommend.

Otherwise, this is the generic answer that you can tailor by inserting your zip code to your area:
- BMW phantom diagrams (1) & nominal prices by part number (1) labor rates by zip code (1) (2) (3) where to find a good mechanic (1) (2) & finding a specialty BMW indy in your area (1)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bluebee,

Im in the Alpharetta area. I entered my zip into the last link and found 2 that might work.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any good recommendations that is appreciated.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge thus far and I am glad you guys are here.

Thanks,

Jay

·
25,378 Posts
You might also consider joining BMWCCA
I'll add that to the "general recommendation" to this question (since I firmly believe almost all questions have been asked before - we may as well have the basic answer prepared).

I have no familiarity with BMWCCA.

Of course, I can look up the links ... but do you have a better link for why someone would want to join BMWCCA than that one?

·
Thebizzy.com
6,524 Posts
Not sure about up there in Alpharetta but I take my baby to Vinings Auto. They only work on Bimmer, Benz & Bentley. Awesome shop. Good luck bro!!

·
Thebizzy.com
6,524 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok..I got my car checked out today by one of the recommended shops. The shop that inspected it today was pretty awesome and gave me an overall thumbs up on the car. But it does have 187k miles on this 97 528i and its time for some of the major maintenance. Valve Covers gaskets (although he said these werent bad and not an immediate priority), rear bushings, power steering lines, transmission service and down the road some shocks. I also found out the timing cover gasket on the 528i is metal and not prone to leaking like the 540. So my leak probably isnt coming from there.

I have been reading the forums quite extensively and I need some feedback. The previous owner had good service records. In the last 20k miles, they had the Oil Filter Housing seal replaced. Still leaked. I had it replaced again about 5k miles ago. (I actually sat in the shop and watch the guy do this repair. Pretty cool) But still leaks.

The shop today told me I need to replace the whole OFH unit with the updated housing because it was leaking from the manufacture plug or what an awesome write up on here called the "freeze plug".

What has got me in questioning is the fact that I asked the tech who did the seal replacement for me 5k ago to use the sealant on that plug like the write up! Watched him do it. Plus the oil seems be on top of the engine as well.

If it was just leaking from that plug, wouldn't the oil just be on the bottom? Everything else they told me is pretty consistent with what I found on these forums, but that just doesnt sit right with me.

I don't want to replace the OFH after 2 recent seal replacements and freeze plug repair. I am a newbie to BMW but any car that Ive had, I at least do enough research to have a basic understanding of the systems.

Without you guys and the BMW community, I would even know to question these guys. So Big Ups either way.

But am I dead wrong?

·
25,378 Posts
Your OFH, having been "fixed" a few times, "shouldn't" be leaking ... but ... that really doesn't matter. It is either leaking ... or it's not leaking.

Cn90 has posted a whole bunch of times how to test and fix a leaking OFH for about five bucks (IIRC).

Of course, if something else is causing the OFH to leak ... well, even a "fixed" one is gonna leak again (it's like driving over nails day after day, even after you fix the tires).

As always, from the bestlinks thread:
- CCV FAILS: crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm tears, freezes (1), &/or clogs (1), necessitating CCV replacement (M54,M54,M54) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); raising pressures, often causing the OFH oil filter housing to leak (1) (2) (3); frequently blowing the VCG valve cover gasket (1); and sometimes the head gasket (1) (2); often causing vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3)

·
Thebizzy.com
6,524 Posts
BB is the official E39 human wiki! :thumbup:

·
25,378 Posts
Thanks bluebee. You are a wealth of knowledge!
Actually I fooled you. :)

I have a tiny little secret.

I have no more knowledge about BMWs than anyone else (and I'm not just being coy). Seriously. Actually I almost always have LESS knowledge than almost everyone else. Both inherent and obtained.

Only if it's a repair that I've done (e.g., brakes, ABS trifecta, window regulator, trunk loom, headlight adjusters, etc.), do I probably have as much knowledge - or maybe even more (simply because of my one little secret) than anyone else.

My little secret is that I can use the "search" button. Really.

That's my ONLY advantage over anyone else.

People tell me I'm smart all the time ... and I just smile. All I do that they don't do is look for the answer (and, well, to be frank, I question each and every answer that doesn't make sense).

Of course, THAT gets me into trouble! :)

Witness the trouble I'm in because I questioned a year ago whether Axxis even exists anymore!
- Why so hard to price Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads on the Internet?

:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.