BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings !

My name is Steve, i live in the seattle area, retired military, work in IT for the state of WA

I have a opportunity to snag a 03 745Li in good physical condition - but has a auto trans problem for a whopping 500 bucks from my wife's boss , the rest of the vehicle seems fine. the PO had attempted repair himself but the issue returned, i figure i could have it rebuilt for a few grand? and put it in myself. once i know more i can ask you guys more direct questions once i have the actual symptoms

I have a reasonable job that could support justifying such a nice car, i am a fairly accomplished shade tree mechanic and i have a friend who builds BMW race vehicles for assistance and guidance ( and a good inspection prior to purchase)

Is this car worth buying and taking the risk? there are a heck of alot of posts..like 700 pages n the forum on this model which concerns me

I would really appreciate any guidance you could provide

·
Registered
313 Posts
So i'd have the car inspected, if its just the trans, i'm sure you could find a nice ZF trans used, for $500 the car is a steal , not to mention you have friend who know the platform very well and of course you can use this forum to get some quick answer :)

Go for it :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well also luckily i have a co - worker who's dad retired from a career of trans repair...the stars are starting to align :banana:

Can someone clue me in on the negative I drive thing? is the electronics in the car really quirky and unreliable?

·
Registered
61 Posts
well also luckily i have a co - worker who's dad retired from a career of trans repair...the stars are starting to align :banana:

Can someone clue me in on the negative I drive thing? is the electronics in the car really quirky and unreliable?
How wrong can you go for that price? Thousands lol, but seriously you will definitely be putting some change in. I heard so electronics stories. I’m not sure about that but have also heard 750 is better in some aspects. Definitely check for white smoke from tailpipe and have fun. You can make it work if you want to. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts