BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone...first of all, this forum is great!!! I am a first time BMW owner...my prior cars were an acura legend and a saab 9-3, and I am psyched about my purchase. I just bought a black 2004 545 manual with 36k miles and I pick her up tomorrow (Friday). I'm hoping for some help:

Should I get a clear bra? They are charging $500 and will buff, wax, touch up etc before doing so. The car is in great shape and only has minimal front end wear. Thoughts? It is BLACK, and if it cleans up nicely, it should look practically new, so the bra might be wothwhile??? I am in Boston and the winters are tough on cars. Will it help more up here, or become a bigger distraction because it gets dirty more easily, especially during the winter? I have to decide by the morning!!!

Second, I have heard that I should inquire about the CIP. I am assuming this is similar to some kind of central processor and needs updating? What if they want to charge me for it?

Last, for now...I believe I got a good deal and would like your opinions. I bought it from the original dealer for $42,000...the orignal owner is a car buff, took great care (no accidents, scratches, scuffs, etc) and just traded it in for a new M5. It is certified pre-owned with 36k miles on it extended to 100k. It has about every package available...sport, nav, prem sound, cold weather, split seats, ski bag, shades, etc. They wanted $44,000, I got it down to $42,000, and then extended maintenance coverage up to 100k miles for $1300. What do you think??? The car is a rare find as it is exactly what I wanted and local: black and beige, manual, and options gallore. THOUGHTS??? Thanks!!!

Anything else I should be away of before I pick her up??? (ex: I have seen the Dunlops have been a problem...do I ask about them?)

·
Happily Driving
7,201 Posts
Welcome! You'll love the car. Get the bra, you'll be glad you did if you plan to keep it for a few years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The CIP is software and like any software there are two schools of thought:
1) Get the latest and greatest. Ask your dealer to update the CIP. It can take as much as a day to do, so the dealer may not be happy about doing it. However, you are in a strong negotiating position (which is greatly reduced upon driving off the lot).
2) If it ain't broke don't fit it. If the car is working perfectly, don't update the CIP. A CIP update could actually cause problems. Note: this happens mostly in newer models (like my friend's new E90) where the CIP may not be fully run-tested.

A key factor in your decision should be whether there are any known issues in the '04 545 that can be fixed by a CIP update. I would ask the dealer and do my own research as well on this board and elsewhere. Good luck!:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts