BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there this is my first post here so i do appolagise if lacking in info, i have read the how to post new thread and checked out other problems relating to the power steering and although interestimg i have not found an answer as of yet,

whilst driving my 1999 316 m sport this evening i noticed that all of a sudden i lost all powersteering, no warning signs or squeels, i got her home and opened the bonnet to find no fluid in the resevoire, topped that up and checked around the engine bay for signs of leaks, i could see none from looking down (also dark outside), i topped up the fluid and proceeding to bleed the rack, on the first turn a loud hissss came from under bonnet and could see fluid spitting out from drivers side wheel area, a puddled appeard quite quickly below where the pump etc is, im planning to get her jacked up tomoro after work and investigate further in the daylight just wanderd if anyone else had this problem and could point me in the right direction to a possible solution

many thanks

· Registered
13,093 Posts
was going bonkers trying to come up with a witty comment and simply gave it up...so i'll simply agree with the gent above and say this is where i'd start.

in the daylight, of course ;).

you brits do call it 'daylight', doncha?? :angel:

df

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha yes we do call it daylight, i think a good look underneath in the "daylight" will enlighten me more on the problem, i saw in another post that good place for parts is pelicanparts.com,,, any other suggetsions?

· Registered
13,093 Posts
lots of places, really, but some better than others.

pelican is one, fcp is another, and there is bav auto, turner, ecs, and such. then there are places like rock auto (not sure if they ship to the uk), and a few others i'm sure that are on your side of the pond.

regardless, i'm sure that the better ones will be vetted out, as well as the ones to watch out for.

df

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
been out under the car this afternoon and ZeGerman you are spot on as far as i can see, seems to be ruptured where the hose joins to the metal.

BMW main dealer wants £140 for parts plus £235 labour which is a bit expensive so spoke to a company over here called pirtek and they will make me a high pressure hose to fit for £70 so result

if anyone in uk has this problem i would advise pirtek for the hose and llooks easy enough to fit myself

· BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,564 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The power steering hoses on these cars are not known for being the best. They generally don't suffer catastrophic blowouts like yours did, but they can. Typically, they just leak a little bit and get things messy down there.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yer well thats all fixed and good now shame my thermostat housing started gushing out water this afternoon yet another problem lol

everyone on forums say go for the plastic housings but a mate of mine says go aluminum

what you guys recomend

· Natasha 95M3
1,137 Posts
Aluminum. And replace the rest of the cooling system. Im going to be lazy and let someone else post it all because it's about to happen 5 times all at once. But if it doesn't it's in one of the stickies at the top of the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.