BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just would like to double check tire pressures if i could.
1999 528i sport pkg

On my door jam it seems to state 33 PSI for front tires 41 PSI for rears (235/45 x 17)
Am I reading this correct i.e. rear has more pressure than fronts? It's just that in all my years I have never had a car that had different tire pressure between the front and rear.

Also bonus question(s, tire size. Several sizes were listed and it looks like one could go up to a 255/40 x 17 in the rear. Is this common to do? will they fit on a sport with no mods?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
329 Posts
hey dmako...

as far as tire pressure goes, it doesn't really matter unless you track your car, or you load your car full load...

I think I had my oem style 32's at 34psi all around...

I'm not sure what I got on my 18's, but I bet it is bit higher than that, or at least I will make it higher when I get the chance. I've heard higher psi helps to protect the wheels from bending.

255/40/17 fits perfectly in 17x9 OEM Style 32 rears, but it is an overkill in a 528i. It's designed for the 540i sport package. In my opinion. 528i is best with a 245 or 235 all around, but if you want the steamroller like look, then yeah 255 will fit, but will make your car slower, and understeer. On a 540, it will make the car faster, and correct oversteer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
dmako said:
On my door jam it seems to state 33 PSI for front tires 41 PSI for rears (235/45 x 17)
Am I reading this correct i.e. rear has more pressure than fronts? It's just that in all my years I have never had a car that had different tire pressure between the front and rear.
i'm not sure the answer to this question, as i have often been confused by this as well. i run the same pressure all round, but i don't know if this is officially 'correct'.

to continue this question, i'd also be interested if the pressures would be different (than 33 or 41 psi) if you had upgraded 18/19/20" tires?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts