BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Newbie to the forum would appericate help :)

960 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  _Ethrty-Andy_
:)Hello everyone i have a 1989 325i and i have little problems with my bmw that i would like to get fixed before it turns into a big problem so if you can help guide me into the right direction i would appreciate it.

1.fuel gauge
One day i just saw the fuel gaure going all haywire on me so i dont know forsure how much gas i have unless i feel it up all the way and calculate. everytime i step on the accelerator it goes haywire and when im at steady speed or just parked it will read empty and i know its not but the red light indicating the tank is empty still works.

2.engine ticking or knocking noise
iv been trying to figure out if the noise im hearing coming from the engine is normal or not i dont think it is tho but i might be wrong and from what i heard other ppl with my car have the same noise but its a loud ticking noise and idk if its a missfire or injectors or what.

3.struts or springs
when i go over a bump my car always bounces and i mean alot and im pretty sure well i know its the springs or the struts just wondering what would you guys suggest for aftermarket springs and struts i want it lowered just a little

4.engine/car shaking
every now and agian if im stopped at a stop sign or light my car will shake like im in a muscle car like it feels like it wants to take off like the longer im haulted the more it will shake and im wondering if that has anything to do with the ticking and knocking noise i addressed earlier do i need a tune up or do the vaules need to be tuned.

i know its alot but i would really appreciate some insight back the car runs great and iv already put alot money in it and its my first car and iv had it for a year now and dont plan on getting rid of it i love bmws :)
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Where do I start? New struts will not effect ride height. Bouncing is due to worn out strut inserts.. Poor tick over can be any number of things including leaking injectors; idle speed control valve, throttle body drilling clogged up; air mass sensor with a bad bit of track; TPS not set correctly - there's a list for now. Fuel gauge (conventional spelling) has to be a bad joint or earth. No way of knowing where. Engine noises - sorry can't hear it from here. Does it coincide with the misfire??
what he said :thumbup:

only thing i can add is to put your ear near the valve cover and if it seams to be coming from there, the tappets probably just need adjusting
Where do I start? New struts will not effect ride height. Bouncing is due to worn out strut inserts.. Poor tick over can be any number of things including leaking injectors; idle speed control valve, throttle body drilling clogged up; air mass sensor with a bad bit of track; TPS not set correctly - there's a list for now. Fuel gauge (conventional spelling) has to be a bad joint or earth. No way of knowing where. Engine noises - sorry can't hear it from here. Does it coincide with the misfire??
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.