BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new to the forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 Certified 535xi. Is there anything specific I should look for before taking delivery? Once the deal is complete I will post pic's and will most likely have more questions about mods and what not. Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Congrats in advance. Does it have the M-sport package? For now, I would just make sure all the paint is original and shows no signs of repainting or repairs. We bought a CPO last year and with all the excitement and anticipation, we didn't go through the car with a fine tooth comb. When I brought it home, we found out both the front and rear bumpers were repainted (front having a bad paint job with drips), no owners manual, no tools, no floor mats. Needless to say, I was upset but as soon as you drive it off the lot, it's on you. Not a huge deal now because fast forward a year, I've completely redone the car with the M-tech front, sides, rear, exhaust, wheels, etc.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hello everyone, I am a new to the forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2013 Certified 535xi. Is there anything specific I should look for before taking delivery? Once the deal is complete I will post pic's and will most likely have more questions about mods and what not. Thanks.
If its an M Sport model, and you are expecting the M sport suspension, you will want to run the vin through a vin decoder like bimmer.work to make sure it has the sports suspension. Some M sport models in 2013 did not include the sport suspension.

Also, Hopefully you have driven the car and are ok with the suspension / ride in general? Xdrive suspension can be soft for some.

Other than that, (and the fact that 2014 was the LCI i think?) you should be pretty good. I would get a pre purchase inspection myself, and take a look at the service records at the dealer. I would also check for signs that it had been owned by an enthusiast as I mentioned on another thread... things like aftermarket exhausts, splitters / rear defusers, etc.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
If you haven't taken delivery yet, then I am sure the dealer has supplied the history of the vehicle. If he has not, he can --- so ask before you take delivery. As has been mentioned, check for bad painting, including inside the trunk and engine compartment.

Also, if you have the last 7 VIN, check to see what you have as extra. Click for the link http://bimmer.work/ May give you a few more things to check to see if they are still working before you drive off the lot.

Check the tires and last time brakes were done. Maybe the dealer will do for free, or a discount, before you drive off the lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it is not a M-Sport. I am coming out of a 2008 LS460, the ride was not "soft" comparatively.

No sign of any aftermarket parts, paint looks good but will do a much closer inspection of the bumpers (good advice). The car was originally sold at the same dealer I am buying it from. Will also ask for the service records.

I have bought my wife's last few cars from them as well as she is a big BMW fan but those have all been new, this will be the first certified car I have purchased from them. I am a repeat buyer (even the same salesman) he knows me well enough to not steer me in the wrong direction.

The car has Cold Weather/Premium and Tech packages. I think the wheels are also an upgrade as they are 19" V-spoke but not really sure.

It is Space Grey with black Dakota.

I have some thoughts on mods but want to drive it for a while first before making any changes.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks guys, it is not a M-Sport. I am coming out of a 2008 LS460, the ride was not "soft" comparatively.

No sign of any aftermarket parts, paint looks good but will do a much closer inspection of the bumpers (good advice). The car was originally sold at the same dealer I am buying it from. Will also ask for the service records.

I have bought my wife's last few cars from them as well as she is a big BMW fan but those have all been new, this will be the first certified car I have purchased from them. I am a repeat buyer (even the same salesman) he knows me well enough to not steer me in the wrong direction.

The car has Cold Weather/Premium and Tech packages. I think the wheels are also an upgrade as they are 19" V-spoke but not really sure.

It is Space Grey with black Dakota.

I have some thoughts on mods but want to drive it for a while first before making any changes.
The other thing I would check is, which version of the navigation you have (NBT vs CiC), if BMW assist is important to you. I "think" that 2013 F10s had NBT, and 3G modems inside but I am not sure.

If BMW assist features (such as the emergency response, etc), is important to you, its something I would check on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is. It was a god send when I had the X5. Got lost in Pittsburg PA. They safely navigated me to my destination. I will check on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you haven't taken delivery yet, then I am sure the dealer has supplied the history of the vehicle. If he has not, he can --- so ask before you take delivery. As has been mentioned, check for bad painting, including inside the trunk and engine compartment.

Also, if you have the last 7 VIN, check to see what you have as extra. Click for the link http://bimmer.work/ May give you a few more things to check to see if they are still working before you drive off the lot.

Check the tires and last time brakes were done. Maybe the dealer will do for free, or a discount, before you drive off the lot.
How often do these cars typically need front or rear brakes? Oil change around 15k miles right?

·
Registered
493 Posts
How often do these cars typically need front or rear brakes? Oil change around 15k miles right?
We had our brakes done at around 35k. Oil service is 12-15k or approximately once in a little over a year. There are some owners that swear by every 7500. Overall, pretty low maintenance compared to lower priced cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just reviewed the Carfax. 2 owner car, in service date of 12/12. First own had it for a year professional lease only put 7k miles. 2nd owner had it for 2.5 years put on 23k. A little concern over this but need to check service records.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts