BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i'm new to the bmw's. i bought a 1990 535i 5 spd for dirt cheap from a friend. i had to replcae the clutch master and slave cylinder but it's running good now. it's got a few problems.

1) occasionally steam comes out of the defrost vent and has a coolent leak. possibly heater core? what do you think it could be?
2)when going over 2" drop offs or curbs i hear a clunk in the front coming from the suspension. when i jacked it up and took the wheel off, nothing seemed to be loose except a couple of bushings? is the wheel bearing bad too? how would i check that?
3)also when i push the car, it takes at least two people to push, it's extremely hard to push, i don't think the brakes are binding or anything, are these cars extremely heavy or could it be bad wheel bearings? thanks. oh, also getting about 13.8 mpg in the city driving normal is this a normal average?

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
Probably the heater core. Mine used to do the same thing. Will take a bit to replace.

Clunk from the front end is probably the sway bar links

13.8 seems a bit low but if you are a "spirited driver" it is probably not far off.

If you do not have a Bently manual it would be a good idea to get one. BMWe34.net is a great resource

·
632 Regal
18 Posts
if the front clunks when you are creeping along in forward or reverse and jab the brakes its probably the ball joints in either the thrust or control arms or even both. they should be replaced in pairs with the thrust arms getting the 750 bushing retrofit. you can get them by calling bmaparts.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys. when i took my wheel off and moved the steering knucle, it seemed as though the ball joints were loose and the upper bushings, i don't think the wheel bearings are bad. my manual trans was either rebuilt or replaced at one point in time because the documents i received with my car said the trans would "pop" out of 1st gear and it doesn't do that now, and the transmission seems very solid. so no problems there yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.