BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to start ordering parts for the cooling system maintenance on my 330 (MT).

The mileage is at ~103K right now, and the previous owner had the water pump replaced at 90K miles. I'm not sure what, if anything else, was replaced when they did the water pump, but I know for sure that the thermostat needs to be replaced, as it stuck open for a few days straight about a month ago. As it stands right now, I'm planning on replacing the following:

• Thermostat
  • Upper & lower hoses
  • Expansion Tank
  • Heater Valve (current one is failing)

I know it won't hurt to replace the existing newer water pump, but should I bother? Its relatively young age is making me waffle back and forth on this, so I'm looking for some other opinions.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
My .02 - it's only got 13K miles, leave it. The other work doesn't disturb the seal, doesn't come anywhere near it.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
What would one check for on the water pump to confirm it is in good working order?
I guess you could wiggle the shaft to see if you felt any play?

OP - I think with 13K it'd be ok to leave it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't forget the coolant temperature sensor for the lower radiator hose. It's only $23.95 at BavAuto.com and from what I've hear, it's really hard to reuse the existing one. I didn't even try to reuse mine, just replaced it and called it a day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all. Looks like I'll be leaving the pump alone.

Don't forget the coolant temperature sensor for the lower radiator hose. It's only $23.95 at BavAuto.com and from what I've hear, it's really hard to reuse the existing one. I didn't even try to reuse mine, just replaced it and called it a day.
Thanks for the heads-up :thumbup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I guess you could wiggle the shaft to see if you felt any play?

OP - I think with 13K it'd be ok to leave it.
+1. Bearing is tight. I replaced the water pump at around 70K. As an original owner I was expecting the bearing on the water pump almost loose - surprised to see metal impeller instead of plastic and tight bearing, almost new condition. I installed the new one but kept the old one for future use. I am confident that you 13K water pump would be in excellent condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts