BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for posting, I have a 2016 550 Msport that I recently got. Seeing the new G35 doesn't have me all jazzed up like I thought I might be. The back of the F10 looks much better than the G35 at least at this stage. Looks more square and in some sense like a VW ( Passat ) rear end. I'm sure its nice though but glad I waited and got the last MY 2016!

·
356 Posts
Sort of underwhelmed as well. The interior looks sharp, but not the significant update I was expecting. Although no more orange interior lighting it appears. I'm on board with that.
Well, sort of. If you watch from about 5:20 to 5:45 of the first video in this post (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9876303&postcount=10) you will see it appears you can adjust the color of the ambient lighting as the examples shown are orange and blue. Plus the official release had the following:

"The standard Ambiance lighting feature includes colored LED light, providing illumination of the interior and accentuating its design contours, particularly around the instrument panel and the doors. There is a choice of eleven different lighting effects with six different light colors, and the brightness can also be adjusted individually. "

·
BMW Fanatic
BMW 2020 540i
430 Posts
I was hoping for more. The exterior is a generic upgrade from the F10 and the interior (judged purely from the photographs) is appalling. The non integrated screen (as in my F36 - 428i GC) is , in my opinion, awful. Even the E serious from MB abandoned the floating screen of the other MB models and integrated the screen into the console. I had a 2012 528i F10 MSport.

I am sure the technology is superb and the performance in the 540i seems to be amazing, but the car looks so ordinary (at least from the photographs). We seem to be in an era of evolutionary appearance with some under the hood (read hidden) improvements - look at the new Apple iPhone 7. I may be in the minority but I want my cars to look amazing as well as perform well. This new version of the 5 series is just so generic and evolutionary. BMW have somehow lost their way here. It is an executive saloon not the sport saloon to which I always aspired (I have had 7 5 series in the last 25 years). I must admit to not caring about this car one way or the other (boring, generic, evolutionary), but I suspect I am now considered a dinosaur and they could not care less about me or what I think. Does this new car make me want one, no. And there you have it.

I see a Jag in my future (and I had an XF in 2010 which I loved but, for reasons I cannot remember, I decided to move back to BMW - but I will not do this again).

·
Happily Driving
7,276 Posts
The V8 will return!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Looks nice, but not sure BMW seems to keep making each model bigger or at least appear that way now. I have a 535xi as a loaner vehicle, as my 328d M Sport is in for service. In my opinion, my 3 series drives much better, i.e. Sporty, compared to the 535xi, which has a floaty drive and feels very large. My previous BMW as a 5 series, but the generation before the F10, which is more the size of my 3 series was the perfect size and drive.

There is no doubt the 5 series is nicer in the inside than my 3, but sure does not drive better.

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
1,702 Posts
The steering feel is going to be very, very important to me and if that is right, and considering the lighter weight, they might have dialed back up the sport feel.

Visually, I like it from some angles but not so much from others. Still don't like the front "connected" grill on any of the current models and that exhaust shape is not my preference either.

I'm also not sure why they decided to add another inch to the length.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I also think it's evolutionary design, and doesn't look much different from F10 (the exterior). I actually like that as my F10 won't look dated for the next few years - a nice surprise. I'm pretty amazed some posts on the linked thread say exactly the opposite (i.e. the look is much different) - are we looking at the same pics here??

The interior is probably great - except for the screen sticking out. I like the F10 integrated look better. Overall - I don't see a huge improvement over F10 which is fine with me as I'll keep it for now. Sure - G30 performance and technology would be better but I don't see any "wow" features...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Meh. There's a lot of subtle changes to the exterior but the end result is something that doesn't look as handsome or timeless as the F10. Hockey stick and the head lights connected to grills stick out like sore thumbs too. Maybe with M sport styling and a better color it might look better though. F10 also looks pretty bland in its normal configuration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.