BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Finally! Now the 350 I would go for! :thumbup:

Anyone care to speculate on the power output would be on a BMW 3.5 engine? So BMW will catch up to it rivals (in terms of power), but it'll take 2 years. Where will the rivals be in 2 years?

"- A six-speed manual will be offered
- iDrive finally makes its way into the 3
- A new 'paddle-shift' SMG will be available
- Styling will be the most conservative of all the BMW's
- Performance of the next 330 (won't be a 330, most likely it will be a 350) will rival the current M3"

·
2,457 Posts
geomax said:
Finally! Now the 350 I would go for! :thumbup:

Anyone care to speculate on the power output would be on a BMW 3.5 engine? So BMW will catch up to it rivals (in terms of power), but it'll take 2 years. Where will the rivals be in 2 years?
Wouldn't the 350i designate a 5.0 liter engine? I think this is pure fantasy.. somebody's wishful thinking. It's almost as if that report merged what we've been saying in these forums for the past year...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
LarryN said:

Wouldn't the 350i designate a 5.0 liter engine? I think this is pure fantasy.. somebody's wishful thinking. It's almost as if that report merged what we've been saying in these forums for the past year...
You're right designation wise, but a 3.5 liter makes the most sense. The G35 is a 3.5 isn't it??

The report reads like a wish list. But if it were all true, then that would be sweet indeed. If not, just the engine upgrade part would do nicely :D

·
10,856 Posts
Diesel+six speed=:D(+Touring=:bigpimp: )

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
PhilH said:
Nothing wrong with any of the rumors in that report, except for that they didn't mention that they're going to try and keep the weight down with all these new features.
Hopefully they will keep the weight down:

"- It will be less expensive and offer more standard features (due to competition from Infiniti, etc.)"

:D

·
Why can't we get Diesels?
2,280 Posts
I had read (granted a while ago) from reputable sources, such as C&D, that the current 3-series would stick around until at least 2006 or 2007. I am curious because I am planning on ordering a coupe in 2004. But even if they do have a new 3-series in '05, it will likely only be the sedan, so I'd have to wait longer to get the coupe. Sorry, I am just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There's no way they'd be able to fit a 5.0L in an inline 6 that would fit in the engine compartment. So I'd say its a 3.5L.

Sign me up for the diesel. I'd get one in an instant. The 330d probably makes close to 300lb/ft of torque!

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
That 350 has to be a typo... they must have meant 335.

So they'll wait another 3 years before the 6-speed comes out?? By then every other manufacturer than BMW will have 6-speed standard.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
SchwartzBlack said:
There's no way they'd be able to fit a 5.0L in an inline 6 that would fit in the engine compartment. So I'd say its a 3.5L.

Sign me up for the diesel. I'd get one in an instant. The 330d probably makes close to 300lb/ft of torque!
Many German tuneres have fit a 5.0L V8 (S62) into E46s :bigpimp:

·
Why can't we get Diesels?
2,280 Posts
The engine would have to be a 3.5 liter and likely would ba tagged 335. If they ever fit a 5.0 V8 in a 3-series, then what would you do in the corresponding M3, put in a 6.0 V12?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.