BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

next-generation 3-series

2K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  DougDogs 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Finally! Now the 350 I would go for! :thumbup:

Anyone care to speculate on the power output would be on a BMW 3.5 engine? So BMW will catch up to it rivals (in terms of power), but it'll take 2 years. Where will the rivals be in 2 years?

"- A six-speed manual will be offered
- iDrive finally makes its way into the 3
- A new 'paddle-shift' SMG will be available
- Styling will be the most conservative of all the BMW's
- Performance of the next 330 (won't be a 330, most likely it will be a 350) will rival the current M3"

#5 ·
geomax said:
Finally! Now the 350 I would go for! :thumbup:

Anyone care to speculate on the power output would be on a BMW 3.5 engine? So BMW will catch up to it rivals (in terms of power), but it'll take 2 years. Where will the rivals be in 2 years?
Wouldn't the 350i designate a 5.0 liter engine? I think this is pure fantasy.. somebody's wishful thinking. It's almost as if that report merged what we've been saying in these forums for the past year...

#9 ·
LarryN said:

Wouldn't the 350i designate a 5.0 liter engine? I think this is pure fantasy.. somebody's wishful thinking. It's almost as if that report merged what we've been saying in these forums for the past year...
You're right designation wise, but a 3.5 liter makes the most sense. The G35 is a 3.5 isn't it??

The report reads like a wish list. But if it were all true, then that would be sweet indeed. If not, just the engine upgrade part would do nicely :D

#13 ·
I had read (granted a while ago) from reputable sources, such as C&D, that the current 3-series would stick around until at least 2006 or 2007. I am curious because I am planning on ordering a coupe in 2004. But even if they do have a new 3-series in '05, it will likely only be the sedan, so I'd have to wait longer to get the coupe. Sorry, I am just thinking out loud.

#18 ·
SchwartzBlack said:
There's no way they'd be able to fit a 5.0L in an inline 6 that would fit in the engine compartment. So I'd say its a 3.5L.

Sign me up for the diesel. I'd get one in an instant. The 330d probably makes close to 300lb/ft of torque!
Many German tuneres have fit a 5.0L V8 (S62) into E46s :bigpimp:

#21 ·
nate328Ci said:

If I am not mistaken, aren't they looking to put a V8 in a production M3 so they will be allowed back into the LeMans series racing. From what I read, there were not allowed to race this year since there wasn't a mass produced V8 powered M3. Maybe that is where they got the idea for the 350:dunno:

#23 ·
nate328Ci said:

Yup, you get that in a Hartge H50! That things a beast, the engine is too much for the chassis to handle. I have a video of it sliding all over the track.

What I meant was that you can't fit a 5.0L into an inline 6 configuration. I think 3.5L is about the limit for an I6. And somehow I always associate a 3series with the I6. Its part of the heritage, plus the I6 is mechanically perfectly balanced.

#24 ·
LarryN said:

Yep. That's what I was thinking as I was reading it. EVERYTHING is like what WE would have wanted...

Not going to happen. The only thing on the list that I can see making to the next 3 series, is 1) 6 speed 2)i-Drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.