BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does the investigation over the tail lights stand? Anyone heard anything? I read on here somewhere the investigation was suppose to be done end of June. I've been driving around for 3 weeks with lamp out indicator and no burnt bulbs hoping for a recall.:dunno:

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Why wait for an ambulance chaser when you can fix this with $0.50 worth of wire and crimp connectors? Not to mention that the longer you leave it in this state, the more likely it is that you *will* actually melt the taillight housings. It's a fix that takes less than 5 minutes. What happened to self-reliance and the ability to just figure it out (or, for that matter, search the internet for a solution?).

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
Why wait for an ambulance chaser when you can fix this with $0.50 worth of wire and crimp connectors? Not to mention that the longer you leave it in this state, the more likely it is that you *will* actually melt the taillight housings. It's a fix that takes less than 5 minutes. What happened to self-reliance and the ability to just figure it out (or, for that matter, search the internet for a solution?).
Well said. Self-reliance is rapidly going the way of the dodo. Who's to say that there will even be a recall?

To the thread starter: Like MicahO said, every day you drive the car brings you another step closer to melting the tail light connectors and causing the tail lights to fail. The poor sap who plows into the back of your car in the dark isn't going to care that you're waiting for BMW to fix your busted tail lights, and the police officer who cites you for the tail lights isn't going to care either. The government isn't responsible for the upkeep and safe operation of your car - you are.

A little money spent fixing the lights yourself now will save you from a lot of time, trouble, money, and neck pain later.

·
Noone Special
684 Posts
wow, did think there were still cars on the road without the taillight fix, just thought everyone did the quick fix already. I didn't even know of the lawsuit. Just out of curiousity when was it started??? I am not going to jump on that band wagon, just never heard of it.

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
I didn't even know of the lawsuit. Just out of curiousity when was it started???
I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit, but NHTSA opened a defect investigation several months ago that was supposed to wrap up recently. Some have interpreted the existence of the NHTSA investigation as an excuse to sit back and wait for BMW to issue a recall - even though there's no guarantee that any kind of recall or repair campaign will result from the investigation.

·
Noone Special
684 Posts
thanks for explaining. Just for me, why would you drive around with something wrong with you taillights? One of the first things I did to my car when I got it was do the taillight fix even thou there was no signs of problem with the connector or taillight, just to be safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you know I'm a member of a lot of online forums, and I do say there is a lot of good info on here, but this forum has more personnal attacks than any other I have ever been on!

You guys don't know me or my story. You guys could have just said, I didn't know there was an investigation or not posted at all.

I am new to BMW, I only got this car back in May and haven't put many miles on it yet cause I only drive it 2 or 3 times a week to work 12 miles one way and ride with a buddy the other days. I have quickly researched and saw there is a quick fix, to be honest I haven't read through to see exactly what I have to do to fix it, but I guess now I will.

And for you info , not that its any of your business, I am very self reliant.....just happen to be pretty busy right now with 3 young kids (2 in soccer at the moment), I'm remodeling a bathroom in my house, got a 355 Chevy I'm building for a buddy for install in a '65 Chris Craft, and I am trying to build a start-up company while working a full-time job! As far as cars, I have built and currently still have and drive a 327 powered '71 Nova, am currently building a '52 Chevy pu with vette irs and stang II frontend, work on and restore vintage snowmobiles, run a part-time snowmobile repair business out of my garage, and have worked on/rebuilt/repaired/repainted each and every vehicle I have every owned since the age of like 14.

I guess in some cases its true.....the only difference between a porcupine and a BMW are in the BMW the pricks are on the inside!!!

Sorry to rant, just fn pisses me off........

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
mogulmasher,

I will readily admit that this issue is one of my current forum pet peeves. Safety is of paramount importance to me whenever I repair or modify my car. Nothing that I bolt onto my car will ever have a negative effect upon its ability to protect its occupants.

The idea of waiting weeks or months for a pie-in-the-sky recall seems a little silly to me. If you catch the problem early, the fix is incredibly easy when compared to the potentially high cost of not taking action. You've no doubt learned this in your research. It sounds like you're more than capable of fixing it yourself.

I want to apologize for lumping you in with the lazy among us who would rather wait for something that may never happen than lift a finger to ensure their own safety. You've got a lot on your plate right now, but you should try to move this simple fix closer to the top of your to-do list before the connectors start to melt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man I appreciate the post! You are right, when it comes to safety it should be a priority of mine to address the issue. I will read up on it and get to it.:thumbup:

Like you, I'm usually right on top of anything safety related, just haven't had anytime to address the issue and to be honest in the beginning I had so much going on that I never even remembered it was an issue until I got back in the car and saw the light on....and I don't drive the car everyday.

Outside of this post though I am a bit peeved by this forum from time to time. It seems as though everyone can't wait to say, read the Wiki or search the threads. I'm on other forums that are much larger than this one and I have no problem constantly giving the same advice. Sometimes people just want that interaction with others when it comes to advice or questions or maybe there is a little something different about their issue that is different than the research they did. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now.......thanks for the kind words in your response G.P.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.