BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions concerning Nice, France drop off location:

1. Is it possible to drop off a vehicle in Nice, France after-hours (i.e., on Sunday night, so I can catch an early Monday morning flight back to the States)?

2. How are vehicles returned from Nice -- are they first trucked back to Munich and then on to Bremerhaven?

·
Alter Peter
533 Posts

1. Is it possible to drop off a vehicle in Nice, France after-hours (i.e., on Sunday night, so I can catch an early Monday morning flight back to the States)?

2. How are vehicles returned from Nice -- are they first trucked back to Munich and then on to Bremerhaven?
I recommend you ask your dealer that question (hate to think some wild Italian or French drivers play around with it after you drop it off). Do take note of your milage at drop off.

I plan to do a ED in about 2 years, when I do my drop off will be near the port from where the car will meet the boat. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't know about #1, but in general I think the only facility that will let you do an after-hours dropoff is Munich and then only with prior arrangements (you'd have to do all the dropoff paperwork ahead of time).

Re. #2: when my wife and I dropped off her X3 in Nice in 2008, it was booked fairly quickly on a ship from Zeebrugge.

-MrB

·
Registered
6,015 Posts

1 - No
2- straight to port of Zeebrugge, not to Munich and then to Bremerhaven

Map of BMW European Delivery Drop-off Locations

Attachments

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't know about #1, but in general I think the only facility that will let you do an after-hours dropoff is Munich and then only with prior arrangements (you'd have to do all the dropoff paperwork ahead of time).

-MrB
I thought after hours drop off was no longer possible...even in Munich.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I thought after hours drop off was no longer possible...even in Munich.
\

Maybe not anymore. I was able to do it in 2007 but haven't had to since.

-MrB

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
\

Maybe not anymore. I was able to do it in 2007 but haven't had to since.

-MrB
I was contemplating an early (earlier than 8:30 opening time) drop off as an option this May (had an early flight), but I believe the answer was "this option is no longer available".

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

Re. #2: when my wife and I dropped off her X3 in Nice in 2008, it was booked fairly quickly on a ship from Zeebrugge.

-MrB
This seems to depend on the ship schedule. The Harms website lists our 328 wagon as currently being sent by truck from Nice to Bremerhaven.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, we also went to Bremerhaven from Nice in June via TT Transit. 3 years ago from the same drop point to the same destination city, it was through Zeebrugge and through a different US port also (NY then versus GA this year).

I know it is not always the ship schedule either as many of the RoRo schedules(including Undine' current route which I am on) are at Zeebrugge a few days after Bremerhaven anyway.

Could be a host of other reasons for Zeebrugge versus Bremerhaven at any point in time including different loading costs at each port, pre-booked slots on the ship from each port, current cost of the truck trans to each port and etc. I do logistics consulting for these types of companies globally so this is an fairly educated guess.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yes, we also went to Bremerhaven from Nice in June via TT Transit. 3 years ago from the same drop point to the same destination city, it was through Zeebrugge and through a different US port also (NY then versus GA this year).

I know it is not always the ship schedule either as many of the RoRo schedules(including Undine' current route which I am on) are at Zeebrugge a few days after Bremerhaven anyway.

Could be a host of other reasons for Zeebrugge versus Bremerhaven at any point in time including different loading costs at each port, pre-booked slots on the ship from each port, current cost of the truck trans to each port and etc. I do logistics consulting for these types of companies globally so this is an fairly educated guess.
:thumbup:
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was able to arrange a Sunday drop-off in Nice last June. I believe that I paid 50euro for the service but it was worth not having the stress of needing to be at the drop-off point on a Friday afternoon. I contacted TT nice directly (email was found on the BMWNA ED site) to arrange the drop-off.
AFIK, they trucked the car to the port (Bremerhaven) the day after I dropped the car off (I got lucky).

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
They wouldn't go for an early morning dropoff for me in Nice, so I dropped it off the day before and walked 2-3 miles back to the hotel along the water. The dropoff is quite near the airport and the google maps will help, but when I got there, there was nobody there and it was locked. Nobody was around to help but finally they showed up.

The shocking part of all this was that same 2-3 mile drive to the airport cost $100 via Taxi. Maybe it's because of the hotel we were staying at, or that it was around 5am, but either way that is excessive for a 5min car ride.

I hate dropping the car off, you're no longer free to go where you want. It reminds me of my first drop-off in Munich..dropped the car off, and then had no idea where I was or how to get back, Harms is in the back of an industrial park off the Autobahn. My second drop-off at Harms took place after hours around midnight in the freezing rain, so the walk back to the U-bahn wasn't the best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The shocking part of all this was that same 2-3 mile drive to the airport cost $100 via Taxi. Maybe it's because of the hotel we were staying at, or that it was around 5am, but either way that is excessive for a 5min car ride.
That's crazy. It must be the hotel. We stayed in Vence, and a taxi to the Nice Airport (about 6 miles) cost us 45 eu.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.