Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am mainly a night driver and I am currently using Osram NightBreaker Unlimited Xenons which are okay. However, I was thinking of getting the Osram NightBreaker Laser xenons which boast of a 200m view. Has anyone fitted them on their car? Are they as bright as they claim? Are they compatible/swapable with the stock xenons?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't have experience with those specific Osram bulbs, though I have used other Osram / Phillips / No-Name bulbs.
From personal experience with what I have used, your biggest bottlenecks will be the 35w OEM ballasts, and the haze on your lens covers.

Easiest and most effective thing to do right away (if you haven't already) is to polish your lens covers.
Make them look new - it will make a world of difference in terms of lighting output.

Next suggestion (again, if you haven't already), is to install a set of LED fog lights. Here, $30-40 gets you a pretty decent set on Amazon.
Mine are bright enough that I could drive at night only with fog lights on. They are a no-brainer.

Now, you could get a good set of 65W Osram halogen bulbs for the high beams (for "offroad use only"), and if you feel savvy enough, enable all lights to stay on at the same time.
That should give you enough light to land a plane in the middle of the dessert.

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
I don't know diddly about how good the headlight wiring is, but, in cars and bike, often the wiring itself is to blame. Typically the hot / supply side wiring is big enough (wire gauge), but the ground side is the pits. A poor connection at the bulb end, scrawny wire to the ground, and a dirt-prone ground connection. Battery cable wire going in may be wonderful, but coming out through bell wire makes that a waste. Sooooo... check all of the wiring and connections. All of the resistance from poor connections and under-sized wire can produce a surprisingly high voltage drop = lower output than necessary.

Personally, I like the idea of LED fog lights. Remember a) the fogs go out when the highs come on (has anyone got a workaround??? That's not legal but so what) and b) the low incidence angle means seeing odd shadows (longer than usual behind slight ridges in the road surface) on the road because the lights are close to the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts