BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What do you think of the look of the 350Z?

• Looks like a squished Audi TT! Which is BAD...

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Looks like a squished Audi TT! Which is GOOD...

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Fugly...

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • OK...

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Beautiful! Love it!

Votes: 26 37.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from SF where I saw my first 350Z and then saw my first one in Ottawa last night...

While it is a nice looking car, I am a bit disappointed in it. Looks like a squished TT. I was hoping (well sort of) for love at first site, where I would rush off to the dealer to trade in my 330Ci for the Racing Package version.

Fraid the decision will not be based on looks alone... will have to wait for a test drive. From all the reviews I read, this will probably not get me out of my 330 either...

I agree with the C&D review, nice looking car, but not an instant classic. Too many 'trendy' accents which may soon look dated.

Always wanted a 300Z when I was a kid though... of course that had the option of TWO turbos. We'll see if Nissan (or Infiniti) makes the right choice next year!

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
If it looks like a squished Audi TT, and an Audi TT looks like a squished VW Bug, then the 350Z would be a super-squished VW Bug? :rolleyes:

The Nissan is a nice looking car from the outside. The interior, as many here have attested, looks pretty cheap. I still need to see this car's interior up close to check out the feel of it.

I haven't seen any 350Z's driving around here yet, but I have seen a few going up to Toronto.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Ack said:
If it looks like a squished Audi TT, and an Audi TT looks like a squished VW Bug, then the 350Z would be a super-squished VW Bug?
This has nothing to do with the Z, but I always thought that the 911 looked like a bug on steroids. Also, the final generation of camaros looked like geo storms on steroids.

I do like the new TV ads Nissan is runing though :thumbup:

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
I have seen quite a few 350 z's around the Syracuse area so far. Most of them have been dealers from Performance Nissan taking them out for a spin (saw the dealer plates) LUCKY BASTARDS! ;)

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
I got the chance to sit in one....

A guy at the Nissan dealership where I get my Maxima serviced was taking delivery. So being curious, I asked him if I could check it out, and he let me sit in it and check it all out (was on the showroom floor, he bought the floor model, was locked when I got to it but they unlocked it for me hehe).

Anyways my impressions... The best thing about that car is the SEATS. They are nice and comfy, and they look just as good in the pictures as they are in real life. Quite nice.

Otherwise, this is just another Nissan. Cheap interior appointments, flimsy door handles, cheapy steering wheel (was a nice grip to it though, I might have given better rating on it if I felt it while I was driving :p). The console is entirely cheap, very shoddy in construction.

The point I always make is that.. with the VQ engine running now in SEVEN CARS FROM NISSAN, there should be some type of discount to the consumer, OR at least some upgraded build quality for all the money they are saving. So you understand, the same engine is in the G35, G35 Coupe, 350Z, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, and the new Murano.

That's why I turned to Mazda. I did all my homework and while the RX-8 isn't probably as fast in a straight line as the 350Z (but the engine is also less than half the size hehe), its carbon fiber and aluminum chassis is stronger than the old RX-7's, which will produce a very VERY nimble car. That's what I'm looking for anyway. Besides, the Millenia that I own now has a very good interior for what it is, as far as build quality is concerned. And since Mazda has promised higher quality materials in the 6 and the RX-8 (the 6 already has gotten reviews from C&D stating that the interior feels like a BMW's, so that's a compliment), since Mazda has a reputation for nimble little cars, like the Protege, Miata, RX-7... I think that the RX-8 will be my best bet. I can't afford to give up a back seat or trunk space like I would in the 350Z so that makes it a moot point, but the G35 I have driven and it's so cheap inside I cringe...

I guess it's about the ENTIRE driving experience down to the feel of the shifter and everything... And if the G35 FEELS cheap, it IS cheap, regardless of its performance. I need to feel comfortable with every aspect of the car, and I can sacrifice a VERY SMALL bit of speed (the RX-8 should be competitive on a straight line with the Z), to gain a back seat, a trunk, and better build quality and styling cues.

Ideally, I'd want a 330Ci, but I can't freakin afford it and this is the next best thing. Don't even mention Audi to me! ... I hate AWD :)

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
i was going to buy the car.. but i never liked the front view of the car.. (the rear and side views were okay), but the more i saw the car in person, the more 'odd' it looks.. and it definitely will not age well, in say 4-5 years, it will look tacky. as compared to the e46, which is classic and timeless..

hence, i just put down a deposit on a 2003 325Ci today!!!!!! :D :bigpimp: :thumbup: :) :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hercules said:
The point I always make is that.. with the VQ engine running now in SEVEN CARS FROM NISSAN, there should be some type of discount to the consumer, OR at least some upgraded build quality for all the money they are saving. So you understand, the same engine is in the G35, G35 Coupe, 350Z, Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, and the new Murano.
Well, if this bothers you, I expect that you must REALLY be bothered by GM. I can't even count how many of their vehicles are driven by that 3800 cc push-rod V6.

It seems that these manufacturers got lucky with one engine design and are flogging it for all they are worth.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Adrian 330Ci'01 said:

Well, if this bothers you, I expect that you must REALLY be bothered by GM. I can't even count how many of their vehicles are driven by that 3800 cc push-rod V6.

It seems that these manufacturers got lucky with one engine design and are flogging it for all they are worth.
*nod*

It's more irritating becase they aren't passing any savings along to the consumer.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would click "Whatever" if it were offered in the poll.

All in all I am just not interested in the car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
it's hard to find one to test drive around here. this one was already sold...nice color combo though....

Attachments

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
a dealer here has one on the lot sitting right up at the road..I seen it like two days ago..I want to stop and focus on it when they are closed so I am not driven insane by the nonsense...it looked HOT...and I also seen one while driving in the blue color NICE NICE :thumbup: :bigpimp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts