BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a brand new cooling system, with the only thing still up in the air being which radiator to get. I've searched and read all the previous threads, but was wondering what the general consensus was now.

Thanks
-Dave

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Behr is MUCH better than Nissens. Behr is who makes the originals for BMW. Steer clear of GEBA water pumps too, you should be fine if you stick to those 2 rules regarding the cooling system.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I posted the entire cooling system here (I use Nissens rad and Hepu WP)

DeddMoneyDave said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a brand new cooling system, with the only thing still up in the air being which radiator to get. I've searched and read all the previous threads, but was wondering what the general consensus was now.

Thanks
-Dave
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

In there, you will find most of the info you need to do the job.

cn90
98 528i 90K

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bimmerd00d said:
Behr is MUCH better than Nissens.
Really? Now I'm confused again. It was my understanding they were both pretty much the same radiator but with the nissens having more ribs on the neck? Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Nissens fewer ribs

DeddMoneyDave said:
Really? Now I'm confused again. It was my understanding they were both pretty much the same radiator but with the nissens having more ribs on the neck? Anyone else care to chime in?
In my 528i write-up above, I use Nissens.
Nissens has fewer ribs than Behr.
The theory is the more ribs the more chance of neck breakage (the ribs may the plastic wall thinner???)

Anyway failure of cooling system in the V8 is IMHO due to high temp (I6 engine runs at88-92 deg C; V8 runs a hotter thermostat)

If I were you, I'd do the cooling system every 50-60K on a 540i and every90-100K in a 528i.

cn

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Behr isn't much better than Nissens. They all crap out about the same time. I installed a Nissen Radiator recently and the quality is comparable to a Behr. The price on a Nissens radiator is slightly lower than Behr.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you plan to keep your car for a while I would get the aluminum one from Zionville. It cost a lot more, but I suppose they do last a lot longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts