Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a mailing from BMW that my warranty for this has been extended to 10 years, 120,000 miles.

I don't see any other postings, so I don't know whether this is a diesel model specific warranty extension. I have the 2015 28d model.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just received a mailing from BMW that my warranty for this has been extended to 10 years, 120,000 miles.

I don't see any other postings, so I don't know whether this is a diesel model specific warranty extension. I have the 2015 28d model.
Greetings Kevin,
I received the same letter for the Nitrogen Oxide Sensors, plus another separate letter for the
Oxygen Sensor. Both letters arrived yesterday, 12/27/18.

Extending the Warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles.

Our car is a 2014 335d. We bought it off the Lease, had it CPO'ed and now we own it.
Our main Extended Warranty runs until 12/29/2020. No more free basic maintenance,
as of this month so welcome to the world of dealer $199 oil changes. :)
But that does include some other items, such as Urea Fluid, etc.
If it wasn't for the Warranty, I'd look for a less expensive O/C.

(They also gave me the new LL-12 FE oil, when I was expecting the standard LL-04.)

Any Warranty extensions seem like a good thing- glad they gave it to us!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
DEF service may not be gratis any more. I***8217;m maintaining my own DEF levels.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DEF confuses me a little. I'm under the impression that there are 2 tanks for DEF fluid, only one of which is fillable at the fuel door. That this is available in case you get low on some trip, so you can at least add some to continue. Also, one is heated and one is not.

I don't know where the other is. Also, my paperwork has mentioned something like SCR Calibration (going from memory). Otherwise, I would seriously consider adding it myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Greetings Kevin,

Our car is a 2014 335d.
Oops, an error here- our car is a '14 535d. Guess I waited too long to edit my post; that button disappeared. Years ago we did have a 335d; a nice car, but not as great as the big Three Liter 535d M-Sport.

It had to be- to buy it off the Lease. Happy New Year to All ~~ :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And today I received a recall notice for the EGR cooler. Affects only Diesel models, and no remedy is yet available. Many 2013-2018 models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a NOx sensor go out at 29,801 and 50 months. $450.52 out of pocket with local German technician. Next was "incorrect DEF fluid" message @ 31,171 and 53 months. Dealer decided to cover replacement active DEF tank that had the bad sensor since they viewed me as a "good" customer and warranty had only expired 5 months ago. I also received the NOx warranty extension letter a couple of wks ago and have submitted the $450.52 repair by an independent shop to BMW for reimbursement and am awaiting the response. The safety recall letter for the leaking EGR cooler arrived three days ago and since there is no current fix, I'm waiting on that response as well. In the meantime, another check engine light came on yesterday & my local tech says it's throwing the same error code as what came up when the first NOx sensor failed. Will be in touch with the dealer tomorrow to address how we're going to go forward. Probably time to get rid of it when it's fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Returned X3 to dealer 1/09/19 to analyize engines systems warning light. NOx sensor fault was detected & part was ordered for next day delivery. Since the warranty has been extended for these sensors, this will be covered. I have received no response to the submission I made for reimbursement for the first failed sensor in August. Dealer advised yesterday that BMW still has no fix for the EGR cooler recall.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the warranty extend to non-diesel models? N20 engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NOx sensors were incorporated into diesel emissions systems following tighter EPA regulations that came into being in 2006 and 2010. At that time diesel particulate filters and selective catalytic reduction with the use of urea were introduced to meet the tighter regulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts