BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nitrogen does seem to be the latest fad. I'm amazed by how many cars I see with the green caps on their valves around here. If people really want an improvement for their wheels and tires they should make sure they use a moisture/particle filter on their compressors and/or air lines. I've noticed many people, especially those that air up their tires at home, don't bother to filter moisture.

·
Inquiring mind
879 Posts
Inert gas is inert gas. I've been toying with Argon.. why not:dunno: that way when in a pinch you could always use it to weld. :)

If you check & maintain your tire presure you will see the same savings as these new green gassers.
Now Helium could make you lighter???

·
Registered
226 Posts
IMR said:
Nitrogen does seem to be the latest fad. I'm amazed by how many cars I see with the green caps on their valves around here. If people really want an improvement for their wheels and tires they should make sure they use a moisture/particle filter on their compressors and/or air lines. I've noticed many people, especially those that air up their tires at home, don't bother to filter moisture.
You know, I didn't think anything about it before this post. The last couple times I had new tires put on my cars at Costco they used Nitrogen..I just assumed if they used it , it must be the tire industry standard now.

I don't see how using nitrogen is going to be noticed one way or the other, it's not going to change the spring rate, or damage the tire or anything else. Supposedly the only difference is it doesn't leach out thru the tire lik air.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
jbrannon7 said:
You know, I didn't think anything about it before this post. The last couple times I had new tires put on my cars at Costco they used Nitrogen..I just assumed if they used it , it must be the tire industry standard now.

I don't see how using nitrogen is going to be noticed one way or the other, it's not going to change the spring rate, or damage the tire or anything else. Supposedly the only difference is it doesn't leach out thru the tire lik air.
Actually, the primary advantage, the way I see it is that the moisture in the "air" doesn't expand when heated and change the inflation pressure of the tire(s). That's a very big factor on the handling "balance" when autocrossing (small scale) or racing (even greater significance).

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
And unless they flush the tire, just using nitrogen to fill the tire after mounting does virtually NOTHING.

For race cars, they use a purge/fill cycle or dual fill valves (although that doubles the chance of failure or a leak).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts