BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the latest Car and Driver, ( new cars for 2013 ) under BMW , it is stated that the 2013 X5d is dead for 2013 ?? Is BMW going to continue just making 2012 's or is this it till the 3rd generation X5 ?

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts

· Registered
5,715 Posts
in 2009, 2010 and 2011 the Diesel for the following MY came out in October.

We were thinking, thjerefore, that the 2013 would be out in Oct 2012...But rumor is that it will be late, and maybe a different tranny?

Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630795
Ard, wouldn't it seem counter intuitive for BMW to bring out the 8AT with the M57 (especially when the E70 is at its EOL), when they announced the updated N57 for the US market?

· diesel evangelist
3,407 Posts
Ard, wouldn't it seem counter intuitive for BMW to bring out the 8AT with the M57 (especially when the E70 is at its EOL), when they announced the updated N57 for the US market?
It wouldn't make sense for them to get a M57/8sdp powertrain certified. I bet they wait until the N57/8spd is ready to come over. Isn't there a facelift due soon for the X5?

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Yes, to me...

It wouldn't make sense for them to get a M57/8sdp powertrain certified. I bet they wait until the N57/8spd is ready to come over. Isn't there a facelift due soon for the X5?
That's what I thought.

But Mike (Emission) had heard some 'inside info' about a new tranny. Seems crazy to me to have a driveline for only one MY.

Same discussion in the thread I linked above...wonder if this report from C&D represents new information....

Crazy that BMW has been running X5 diesel television spots AND announce there will be no MY2012 diesel!

· Registered
502 Posts
it's one thing for the 2013 X5ds to possibly come out later in the year than usual (due to new tranny, engine, etc), it's another for C&D to flat out announce the 2013 X5 35d dead, as in there will be NO diesels next year! So which is it, late or never? As mentioned above, I wonder if C&D has some new information on which they based their statement.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
They're probably just extending the MY12 35d for as long as possible and then will put it on a brief hiatus, skip MY13 for it altogether, and then come right out with the new MY14 X5 35d. For the diesels, don't they have to go through a very expensive recertification process every year? Good reason to skip a year then if possible, especially if a redesign is coming out.

· diesel evangelist
3,407 Posts
They're probably just extending the MY12 35d for as long as possible and then will put it on a brief hiatus, skip MY13 for it altogether, and then come right out with the new MY14 X5 35d. For the diesels, don't they have to go through a very expensive recertification process every year? Good reason to skip a year then if possible, especially if a redesign is coming out.
This makes the most sense.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
How can they sell a 2012 through all of 2013????

THAT makes zero sense,

· Registered
1,465 Posts
How can they sell a 2012 through all of 2013????

THAT makes zero sense,
I haven't paid attention to VW in years now, but back when I was I remember them doing similar things with some of their TDI cars.

· Registered
43 Posts
Just received the latest Car and Driver, ( new cars for 2013 ) under BMW , it is stated that the 2013 X5d is dead for 2013 ?? Is BMW going to continue just making 2012 's or is this it till the 3rd generation X5 ?
It does not say that in the CD I just got. It says "An M Performance package adds 15 horses to the Xdrive35i and 40 horses to the xDrive50i. All X5/X6 models get trim changes"

Where does it say dead?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.