BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've bought a used 2004 BMW E61. The CCC unit was broken so I got a good deal, thinking I could fix it. I sent the CCC unit to somebody who fixed it; when I got it back, the screen etc, everything worked, except the audio. Since the guy's pretty far away, I'd first try to fix it myself. I'm also getting the dreaded SOS malfunction warning (which I've tried to get rid of by coding the KOMBI module but to no avail).

When scouring these fora, I ran into several possible fixes. So far I've tried without success;
- Reset iDrive with the eject & mute buttons
- Replace fuses related to amp/audio

When I looked in the boot compartment, I saw the Logic7 amp. But I also saw a few loose cables.. could that be the issue? :yikes:

I can't find anywhere where these cables should be plugged in. Could anyone enlighten me as to what these cables are?

If these cables are supposed to be disconnected for some reason, I have a few options left;
- The CCC unit the guy sent back has a wrong VIN. Recode the unit with the correct VIN (I'm just starting to get into the INPA/NCSExpert software stuff so I'm trying other options first)
- See if amp is broken

Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Does your car's BT phone connection work? Looks like these could be the TCU cables? Which also can be related to the SOS error.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No BT doesn't work either but I chalked that up to it not being compatible with my iPhone but it can also be TCU. Where would the TCU be located? Near the amp?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Judging from this Youtube video it's behind the back seat, not in the boot compartment on the side (above the wheel). And from what I can see when I google on TCU pictures, the connectors are different. So location and connector type differ, so my guess is these are not TCU cables.

Edit; although I now see this is a MULF. I don't have a USB port anywhere so I guess I don't have a MULF but a TCU. If I look at this video (although from an E60) it looks like it is in the boot compartment;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnBhi4qTBLE

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Enter the part number on the module into realoem.com and you can verify exactly what you have.

I suspect that the fiber optic loop is broken based on what I see on the blue connector. There for no signal to the logic 7 amplifier.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The blue connector and 2 coax cables remind me of the TV / video module I had in my 745i (E65)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blue connector and 2 coax cables remind me of the TV / video module I had in my 745i (E65)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Yes! Today I decoded my VIN and saw the TV option. I then Googled it and noticed the blue connector; https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...usPgAhXPfFAKHRV8AzgQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=748

I actually came here to update this thread, you beat me to the punch ;)

Now everything starts to make more sense. I have the feeling someone coded my car to leave out options that may have been stripped before selling it on, maybe trying to get a few more bucks out of the sell.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Enter the part number on the module into realoem.com and you can verify exactly what you have.

I suspect that the fiber optic loop is broken based on what I see on the blue connector. There for no signal to the logic 7 amplifier.
From what I've read, I can test that by getting a MOST fiber optic bypass cable and see if I have sound with that thing on, right? Judging from :

this video

Edit; this thread (last comment) confirms that suspicion, and does a nice job of explaining the fiber optic loop.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hi
From what I've read, I can test that by getting fiber optic loop.
Yes, that would help. The problem is, you need to figure out where the loop is open. In the blue connector picture, we can't see the back of the connector, so can't say if it's got fiber running to and from it.

Edit: Ouch, that video was painful to watch. In any case, if the PO stripped out the TV module, they may have also removed others as well, so you might need more than one loop. As well, in the video, you can see a red glow from one fiber port. A quick check is to remove the connection at the amp and see if you have the red glow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed it!

Pretty much out of sheer desperation I went through all my ECU's that I could find and re-coded them in NCS Expert, and then wrote my VIN to the ECU using Tool32. I'm not sure which ECU did the trick (maybe it was a combination?) but when I restarted the car, my audio worked!

Seems the only thing that doesn't work concerning the CCC-stuff is my Bluetooth but that's a problem for another day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In hindsights, I guess the guy who fixed my CCC unit recoded it to his VIN so he could test it. Then didn't reset my VIN into it, causing it to error out. After putting the VIN back into the KOMBI ECU, it started working again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts