BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2013 328i. The car has a built in navigation screen and I assumed it would have a backup camera feature but I have not found one yet.
A friend who has the same car and year says she has this feature called "park assist".
Does this feature only come on certain cars with a tech package? Would I be able to add this feature to my car if it did not have the feature when I purchased it.
This car has a large butt is wider and sits lower than the previous 3 series models- making it harder to see when backing up.
HELP!
By the way- is it just me or do the newer 3 series drive lighter? The steering does not feel as heavy as it did in previous models (2012 and older)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I just purchased a used 2013 328i. The car has a built in navigation screen and I assumed it would have a backup camera feature but I have not found one yet.
A friend who has the same car and year says she has this feature called "park assist".
Does this feature only come on certain cars with a tech package? Would I be able to add this feature to my car if it did not have the feature when I purchased it.
This car has a large butt is wider and sits lower than the previous 3 series models- making it harder to see when backing up.
HELP!
By the way- is it just me or do the newer 3 series drive lighter? The steering does not feel as heavy as it did in previous models (2012 and older)
The steering is different on F model 3 series (search bimmerfest for F30 steering, and be prepared to read dozens and dozens (and dozens) of threads about steering. 2013s are mostly F series.

As for the backup camera, that is NOT a standard item (you would think it is, but it isnt), and it has nothing to do with whether you have navigation or not. It has to do with if you have drivers assist (which is park distance control and backup camera).

If you had it, you would know because you would see the park distance control on your screen when you back up with an outline of the car with waves that come out when you get close to things.

If you are not sure if you have a backup camera you can check your vin at:

bimmer.work

and input the last 7 of your vin to check the options. I would bet that you will not find a backup camera in your options (its basically impossible to miss if you have this option in your car).

So, if you want to retrofit one, the dealer will not do it. You can go after market and some people do that (I think bimmer tech offers a retrofit). You will either need to DIY, or go to a shop that installs aftermarket BMW stuff.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Bimmer tech offers a retrofit but its pricey. Trying to retrofit missing options on a BMW is a costly affair. Just ask all the poor souls who have deeply regretted having the halogens and tried to retrofit lighting package.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I defiantly do not have driver assist then. I wish I knew before I purchased the car because I would have waited to find one that has that feature.
I prob will not try to add it as it sounds like a difficult process.
I'm not a fan of the lighter steering. It makes the car feel cheaper. I might return it I still have 24 hours.
Thank you for getting back to me.
It's a shame they didn't include a backup cam for all the newer models as standard and keep the steering heavy. Heavy steering makes the car feel more grounded when driving.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Yes I defiantly do not have driver assist then. I wish I knew before I purchased the car because I would have waited to find one that has that feature.
I'm not a fan of the lighter steering. It makes the car feel cheaper. I might return it I still have 24 hours.
It's a shame they didn't include a backup cam for all the newer models as standard and keep the steering heavy. Heavy steering makes the car feel more grounded when driving.
Its electronic steering, and if you get a car with the variable sport steering, the steering is better (but not hydrolic). You basically need to decide if you want to continue to drive BMWs, because the old steering is NOT coming back... period.

You can get closer to it with the variable sport steering, but if you are a person who is looking to buy your BMWs used, that option is pretty rare. Even WITH that option some dont like the steering. I personally feel the steering complaints are a little overblown for people not tracking their cars but its not my money, its yours (I also have a BMW with variable sport steering, and the M sport model with the thick steering wheel... both help to make me feel more connected to the car).

You should decide to return it if you dont like it now, because you wont like it any more later than you do now.

you will need to look for an older E series BMW and maintain it (or switch brands, or deal with it).

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,106 Posts
HELP!
This is why you never assume. Putting the car in reverse with no image coming up on the screen during a test drive should have been a red flag to this. Back up camera is a separate option from nav. If you don't have a button for the park distance control below the drive mode button to the left of your gearshift, you don't have a back up camera.

You can trade it in next year for an '18 when all cars have to have it standard.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
This is why it is so important to thoroughly test drive a used car before buying. The all important backup cameras are not mandatory until 2018.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
If you can return it and the backup camera is a must have option then what are you waiting for? Take it back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just check - I think the backup camera option can be switched off via a toggle. Obviously you can just look and see if the backup camera is physically present on the back of the car - should be just above the license plate. If it's not physically there well then you just learned a lesson about ASSuming.... If it is, then you should have a "camera" looking button next to your shifter and within that you can toggle and sometimes backup camera can be switched off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my 2013 realizing there was no backup camera. At first I told myself I didn't need one. But backing into parking spots or out of crowded parking this holiday season is a lot tougher than I'm used to with it.
Needless to say I'm going to get one installed for 1,300 (bimmer tech). Not sure if I can do it myself or have someone do it for me (I think coding has been the hardest part).

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts