BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the bulbs w meter, there good. Both brake lights are out, running lights working fine. Checked the past threads, most are about both sides being out.

Any suggestions on running the fault down other than just get out a meter and start working my way up? Any week spots, bad grounds that might do it?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you meter at the brake light assembly when applied ? If your not getting power at the assembly, check at the rear harness. Does the third brake light work?

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Your headline says right brake light is out. Then you state that both brake lights are out. Which is it?

BTW, the word is "they're."

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your headline says right brake light is out. Then you state that both brake lights are out. Which is it?

BTW, the word is "they're."
2 bulbs in each tail light assembly. Both of them are out on the passengers side ed. Both bulbs check good, so no power to either bulb. However all the remaining lights work in both assemblies.

I'm pretty sure the center brake light is working but will check again tonight.

Jim

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Someone must have modified the assemblies: There is only one stoplight bulb per side (at least on my car).

Possible that the connector to the assembly is corroded.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Someone must have modified the assemblies: There is only one stoplight bulb per side (at least on my car).

ed, pretty sure this car has 2 stop lights per side, and 2 running lights per side housed above the stop lights. Both bulbs have e-grease on the bases, and the plug assemblies look as good as new, no burnt marks, no corrosion.

The connectors and light sockets look to be factory. No wire twists, no e-tape anywhere.

I'm puzzled because it seems all the usual players are checked and good.

Jim

·
'Fest User
129 Posts
Same on my car Ed, '98 528.

And if it's all the same to everybody, I prefer "they's".

MKJS: I'd suspect the stop light switch, but the 3rd taillight would tell you if that was the likely culprit, or not...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does your dash show a warning that those lights are out? If not, it must be an LCM issue.
Yes, jj, learned about the issue from the dash display. Do believe the center light is working, but haven't looked specifically at that yet. All the other lights in the pass side assembly work fine, as do all the lights in the drives side assembly.

Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same on my car Ed, '98 528.

And if it's all the same to everybody, I prefer "they's".

MKJS: I'd suspect the stop light switch, but the 3rd taillight would tell you if that was the likely culprit, or not...
Not sure if you're saying that you have 2 stop lights or one.

·
'Fest User
129 Posts
Sorry. Yeah, I have only one per side. I was just in there 2 weeks ago when pass. bulb blew out from a short (mucho rain) across the metal feeds; I thought, from the looks of the setup there would be two bulbs. And while there is a boss for a second bulb, it was not open. Blanked off. That I think is why Ed said yours must have been modified if it had 2 (per side).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Checked the bulbs w meter, there good. Both brake lights are out, running lights working fine. Checked the past threads, most are about both sides being out.

Any suggestions on running the fault down other than just get out a meter and start working my way up? Any week spots, bad grounds that might do it?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
I had to replace the whole assembly on mine to fix similar problem!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never seen a factory brake assembly on a 99 5 series with 2 brake lights on each side. there is an extra bulb stored in the assembly as a backup that can look like a second brake light. Just something to look at.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Never seen a factory brake assembly on a 99 5 series with 2 brake lights on each side. there is an extra bulb stored in the assembly as a backup that can look like a second brake light. Just something to look at.
Interesting. they are all wired, none are dummy holders, and they appear to all be factory wires and both light up on the other side. I can see nothing that looks amateur about them. The whole setup looks factory and is supplied by a big plug from the factory harness, but I'll check with a new eye and perspective.

I had to replace the whole assembly on mine to fix similar problem!
Not sure how this works, the assembly is independent of the wiring. The bulbs work without being in their sockets.

I'll pull the connector and look closely. The headlight assemblies are after maket, and look it. The tail light assemblies for all the world look original and unmolested.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.

Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Interesting, the tail light harness has a date on it that looks to be a factory date of x/x/01. There are no warning lights present when it operates properly, but did receive a warning that bulbs were out.

Pics to follow.

Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the 01's have double brake light bulbs on each side? Could this be an '01 light harnesses plugged into a '99?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem last week I replaced the passenger right rear assembly and still had the problem,so I looked closely at the black asembly conector and it looked faded and worn like rusted, so I disconnected the battery got some electrical cleaner autozone ,sprayed the connector male and female generously ,plug in and out several times,then I blew them out with computer spray to dry.hooked up battery and it worked I think I had a dirty conection or something but it works fine now. Or you have bad bulb connectors which bought also..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '97 ( one light bulb per side) ...
Bulb tested fine... Finally just installed a new bulb... Problem solved. It seems that the bottom of the bulb ( soldier connection) wears and finally looses a good connection.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts