BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of my pickup date, my two weeks of free insurance happened to end on a sunday. Since I wanted to take full advantage of the two weeks I pre-arranged a sunday drop-off with Harms which was no problem. I had fully intended to use the bimmerfest recommended pre-Harms car wash to clean off the weeks worth of caked on dirt from my travels. Well for some crazy reason nobody seemed to want to let me wash me car. There is a gas station just a few blocks from Harms with a drive thru wash which I went to. Right as I pulled up he was closing the doors to the car wash and gave me the no, were closed wave of the hand. I dont speak german so I couldn't really ask what was going on but I just accepted that he was closing. This was at 11:30am mind you. Well I pulled up the self-service Shell station down the street and drove there. I pulled into one of the waschstalls and got out of my car when an old man with a bucket of water come over to me and started speaking german. He too gave me the universal sign for no car wash. But wait, I dont understand. Is there a problem? Its self-service, you dont need to have open hours for me to self-service wash my car. The only thing I could decipher from his german was that he said not sunday, maybe monday. Neither the self service area or drive thru wash had any water on the ground in the area making me assume that they dont allow car washes on sunday. Either that or I am one unlucky bastard. Needless to say, even after pulling up to a truck wash station (also closed), I grumpily left my car at harms with a nice nasty layer of dirt. I can only hope that my dealership is able to make it look nice and clean when I get it back.

On a side note, dont try to do anything in germany on a sunday. Everything worthwhile is closed including grocery stores.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't worry. When I went to Harms, everything was open, even the car washes, and I still did not wash the car. It had some dirt, and am sure I can convince my dealer to wash it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I feel your pain. I went to what I think was the Shell and had the same issue on Sunday. I couldn't accept it and went to the truck wash down the road and also to 2 other stations that had washing facilities and they were all closed.

I went to one and used their window wash bucket and a sponge to at least get the 2 million bugs off the front of the car which was my main concern.

Don't quite understand why a self wash device would be closed on a Sunday? Maybe someone else can shed some light on this reasoning.:dunno:

·
Mace
817 Posts
Guys...it's a Sunday. No work, no manual labor. This is take more seriously in Germany (at least in the South) than in the US where it's universally ignored. I visited with a buddy of mine in Stuttgart on Sunday before dropping off my car on Monday morning. I was going to hand wash the car at his house but his neighbors have called the cops on him for washing his car on Sunday. I ended up sneaking down to the hotel garage with a small bucket and sponge to at least get the bugs off but no "full service" wash.

·
Registered
149 Posts
> I was going to hand wash the car at his house but his neighbors have called the cops on >him for washing his car on Sunday.

You can't be serious - unless, there is some kind of water restriction 'blue laws'!

·
Mace
817 Posts
> I was going to hand wash the car at his house but his neighbors have called the cops on >him for washing his car on Sunday.

You can't be serious - unless, there is some kind of water restriction 'blue laws'!
Absolutely serious and nothing to do with water restrictions. He lives on the edge of the Black Forest and on several occasions his neighbors berated him for doing light work in his garage and yard on Sunday. His wife is from Frankfurt and says she "can't stand Swabians, they're all a-holes"...:rofl: I understand it as kind of like a New Yorker living in Alabama or a Canuk vacationing in Florida. In any case, one of his neighbors did call the cops on him for trying to wash his car (just given a warning).:rofl:

·
Registered
149 Posts
>He lives on the edge of the Black Forest and on several occasions his neighbors berated >him for doing light work in his garage and yard on Sunday.

Hehehe! Now, I got it. My neighborhood is somewhat like that too - and I'm in Texas. My hoyty-toyte neighbors complain if my dogs bark, or look at me funny if I mow the lawn myself, or wash my car. My home-owners is another pain-in-the.. you know what.

I think, I have single-handedly brought down home values around here and if you hear 'there goes the neighborhood' around here, they are pointing at me.

If my missus allows, I would rather go out and live the country without stiff-upper lip neighbors. :) :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
On a side note, dont try to do anything in germany on a sunday. Everything worthwhile is closed including grocery stores.
Absolute rubbish. Most museums, cultural institions, parks, theaters, concert halls, restaurants, the list goes on and on - are open.

·
A year later and :-))
116 Posts
...his neighbors have called the cops on him for washing his car on Sunday.
Dunno if it's still true, but in certain parts of Jerusalam, people would throw stones at your car if you tried to drive through on the sabbath.

·
Registered
149 Posts
>Dunno if it's still true, but in certain parts of Jerusalam, people would throw stones at >your car if you tried to drive through on the sabbath.

Well that does it ... leave Jerusalam out of my itinerary. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolute rubbish. Most museums, cultural institions, parks, theaters, concert halls, restaurants, the list goes on and on - are open.
OK maybe in the heat of my no-washing-cars-on-sunday passion I might have been a little carried away. But it just seemed like everything I tried to do was closed.

And for the others, I know the dealer will wash it when it gets back but the idea of having 500 bugs and a whole lot of dirt on my car for two months doesn't sit well with me. The whole no car wash on sunday thing should probably be added to the wiki though. Seems like it might be important to some.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
OK maybe in the heat of my no-washing-cars-on-sunday passion I might have been a little carried away. But it just seemed like everything I tried to do was closed.
Understood.

And for the others, I know the dealer will wash it when it gets back but the idea of having 500 bugs and a whole lot of dirt on my car for two months doesn't sit well with me. The whole no car wash on sunday thing should probably be added to the wiki though. Seems like it might be important to some.
The wiki is something anyone can edit - please feel free to make the addition/edit about car washing on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
How strange that a grown-up can't wash a car on Sunday(on his own property and with the water he apparently pays for), but kids can drink beer while walking down the street (in front of police) if they so desire.
It's a great country, but how weird are their "rules" sometimes?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here was my experience when I was living there. And this was 1978 - 1981. I was in the Pfaltz region (Kaiserslautern) and there were a lot of restrictions on Sunday. Most everything was closed. If my wife and I wanted anything we had to get it at the base. Also, there were some noise restrictions: no mowing the lawn on Sundays. I don't think anybody in that region would have called the police, but we 'ugly Americans" would have left a bad impression. So I'm not surprised about some others experiences there.

The other thing about a car wash. I was wondering if customs & agriculture will have a problem with that. Ever since the phylloxera epidemic that almost wiped out the European wine crops in the late 1800's, the US has been sticky about bringing foreign dirt into the US (and it was US dirt that caused the blight). When I rotated back to the States, I had to clean out the Volksmarch dirt and dust before the US Army would accept the car at the Bremerhaven port.

Just thinking out loud here. Not sure how it works these days.

·
ICH LIEBE BMW!!!!
742 Posts
Hmmmm.....I would be more worried about possible getting bird poop off of my car than I would any bug guts or dirt.....

Cheers,

·
Mace
817 Posts
I disagree... the dead bugs will likely not do anything to the paint paint other than the "feel good" factor .... but if you insist... you can DIY
Lol...Beewang, dude, bugs must be as scarce in Oregon as conservatives! Florida bug guts (in particular the pitiful "Love bugs") will eat through your paint in about a week. Every car I've owned here has pits not only on the paint but the plastic headlight covers from these little bastages. I wouldn't worry much about a bit of dirt and grime but definently get rid of the bugs before drop off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts