BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum. Hopefully I don't have to post often.

Last year, bought the car. Drove 6000 miles, at 88000 miles, the temp light pops up yellow, then red and I'm stuck 30 miles from home. Towed to my buddy's place (he works on his '07 335i), he replaces the water pump and thermostat. Car is perfectly fine for almost exactly a year, zero problems.

3 weeks ago:

During Hurricane Matthew, lots of flooding around my house. To get home had to drive through about 6 - 8 inches of water. Drove REALLY SLOWLY. Get home 2 minutes later, go inside. Check oil level and timer rotates and comes up "INACTIVE" (habit of checking this as it sometimes burns oil), first time I've ever gotten that. Go back into my garage ~ 2 hours later and hear a loud whine coming from front of car (I'm not a car guy, and didn't think much of it, dumb I know).

Next morning, try to leave for work, and the car is dead. Had a friend come and jump me from the engine bay. Red Steering Lock light (had this before and stopped at BMW dealer, two minutes from work). Start to drive to work, two minutes down the road and the yellow temp light and two seconds later red temp light. Drive back home really slowly, park in garage. Go inside and order Pierburg pump, thermostat and BMW coolant. My buddy changes the pump, thermostat and does the full workup. He disconnects the battery for 5 minutes to clear the steering lock light and all seems good.

Starts car, red steering lock light still on, does the bleeding and all seems good. Lets car idle for 10 minutes, water pump never starts. Top hose to radiator hot and bottom hose, cool to touch. He comes over and checks the voltage to the water pump and it reads 7V, not the 12V needed.

Check the relays and fuse in the engine bay. All fine. Started checking interior ones, and my battery is dies.

During all of this car is not throwing out any codes. At a loss for reason....

Any suggestions help. I'd rather not to have it towed to a mechanic and get overcharged. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
You went through salt water didn't you....go under the car and clean or replace your ground straps...there's about 6 of them...use dielectric grease on the connections so it slows corrosion...the squealing you heard was most likely a wet alternator alowing power to drain from the battery back to the alternator....a bridge rectifier normally prevents that but if it was compromised by saltwater it will drain a battery dead

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it was fresh water you wouldn't have any or little problems as fresh water isn't to corrosive or conductive but add even the slightest bit of salt to it and it can play havoc on systems if you gave it a bath in it like the 6 to 8 inches of water you had to drive through

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I would start with battery replacement. You most likely shorted some things driving in water, whether fresh or salt.

Low battery will cause the steering lock error and you may have also blown a fuse for the water pump, and the 7v is from another source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily it was not salt water. But I will take that into consideration and go under and clean out the ground straps and use dielectric grease.

I can replace the battery, but my ultimate problem seems to stem from the 7v issue and no kick on signal being sent out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts