Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just brought a e90 2006 bmw 325xi . I put a new battery in it and i sprayed the mass air flow sensor down and put it back in the car. i them attempted to start the car and it wont crank nor start. I dont know if i let the mass airflow sensor dry completely and something went wrong. Any help on what it could be why the car wont start now.? did i possibly blow a fuse or fuses or relay or relays? do I have to do something with the new battery. Are the fuses that relate to starting the car, which ones? Thanks

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
There are many things that can cause these cars not to start.
You need some diagnostics and preferably BMW diagnostic
to even get a start on knowing what the problem is .
Mass Air Flow Sensor should not even be considered if the car
is not turning over.

·
Registered
53 Posts
there is a black 4 prong relay under glovebox says 30 on it
this is a CAS rely that can be bad..you can replace but i would disconnect neg battery cable when replcing
they r about $20
no crank no start u might need a new starter..lots of things try to get it scanned

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,841 Posts
i just bought a e90 2006 bmw 325xi . I put a new battery in it and i sprayed the mass air flow sensor down and put it back in the car. i them attempted to start the car and it wont crank nor start. I dont know if i let the mass airflow sensor dry completely and something went wrong. Any help on what it could be why the car wont start now.? did i possibly blow a fuse or fuses or relay or relays? do I have to do something with the new battery. Are the fuses that relate to starting the car, which ones? Thanks
QUESTIONS:

1) Did the Starter Crank the Engine BEFORE you replaced the OLD battery?
2) WHAT Issues caused you to replace the OLD Battery?
3) Had you ever Jumpstarted that vehicle BEFORE (or since) you replaced the Battery?
4) If so, WHERE did you attach the Jumper Cables? To Battery?:thumbdwn: To Jumpstart Terminals under the Hood? :thumbup:
5) Who replaced the old Battery, YOU or a shop/ someone else?
5a) When you put Remote Key in Insert Compartment and press START button, WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch: does radio come on? does Instrument Cluster light up? Does A/C Control Panel light and Blower Motor function?
5b) When you now Press START with foot on Brake/Clutch, is there ANY "click" sound? If so, WHERE does it come from?
6) Please attach a photo or two showing the Negative battery post, BOTH the connectors (blue) for the two wires coming from the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) on the (-) Battery Post.
7) Do you have a Multimeter? If so, what is the Voltage measured at the Jumpstart Terminals under the hood? What is the Voltage measured at the battery posts?
8) If you have access to any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software, please identify that Tool/Software, and what Fault Codes are read? If you DON'T have a Scan Tool, that's OK, we can work with just a Multimeter ($7 from HFT if you don't have/can't borrow one ;-).

With answers to those questions, we can suggest "Next Steps". There are NO fuses specifically related to the Start Button or Starter Activation, other than the two CAS Module fuses, and that would take some explaining with wiring diagrams, Correct Fuse Charts, etc. As has been stated by others, the MAF Sensor has NO connection to Starter Cranking, and in fact, the Engine should start & run with the MAF Sensor Connector DIS-connected.

George

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Cas fuses

GEORGE do u know the location of the CAS fuses?? 2008 328i sedan? The CAS RELAY is BLACK on my car under glovebox..do the CAS fuses work the CAS module?? OR the CAS relay
thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cas fuses

GEORGE where are these cas fuses and what do they control..the CAS RELAY or the CAS module? 2008 328i 4 door Sedan automatic
thanks any help appreciated..

my car didnt come with any fuse diagrams and i cannot find one that matches my SEDAN, especially under the glovebox on passenger side
cheers
MY 2008 328i wont crank or start..this guy jumped the black 4 prong CAS relay when he removed it..thought it was the starter relay..now all the HEADLITES, BRAKELITES, AND WIPERS stay on with car OFF..the battery only had 11.3 volts..i dont known how many cranking amps but he jumped it in the trunk and then all hell broke loose..
the car is now possessed.

I took out the old battery ..only had 1.9 volts left on it and am getting a new battery..
I dont have any fuse diagram online that matches..perhaps because its a sedan 4 door

**ARE THERE FUSES for the footwell module and what do u think is wrong?
I cnat reach starter to check for voltage at BIG red connectoc and Trigger terminal as battery is dead an dont know how to reach it.. any help appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts