BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my water pump, ac belt, serpentine belt, and radiator fan on my 2002 325i e46 and when I went to start the car all the lights were working but when I tried to start there was nothing. I checked the battery I don't have a multimeter but I got my friend to charge the batter with jumpers and we tried it twice with no luck. I check all the fuses and they are all good. I also think I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition. if it helps the car is also a manual. I have seen some people talking about the key being the problem but I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas?

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
going to be hard to diagnose without a multimeter. If you are near a hill try to pop-start using the clutch.

Not enough information to really diagnose if you can’t test

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going to be hard to diagnose without a multimeter. If you are near a hill try to pop-start using the clutch.

Not enough information to really diagnose if you can't test
Do you think all the lights and everything would work if the battery was compromised? And ill get a multimeter and update.

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
Yes. E46 modules are sensitive to voltage.
also it is the first step in any no-start!

next step is to determine whether the starter is getting voltage to its motor, then to its signal post.

if the is not 12v to the main positive terminal at the starter you have a battery or power circuit issue. If the grounding terminal does not have continuity with the negative terminal in the drug bin you have a ground issue.

if both are good and you don’t get 12v at the signal/solenoid terminal, the you have an issue with the key/immobilizer/ignition. If all of these are good you need a new starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. E46 modules are sensitive to voltage.
also it is the first step in any no-start!

next step is to determine whether the starter is getting voltage to its motor, then to its signal post.

if the is not 12v to the main positive terminal at the starter you have a battery or power circuit issue. If the grounding terminal does not have continuity with the negative terminal in the drug bin you have a ground issue.

if both are good and you don't get 12v at the signal/solenoid terminal, the you have an issue with the key/immobilizer/ignition. If all of these are good you need a new starter.
Thank you guys so much that was the problem and I also found out that there is an on board multimeter on the obc its test 9. I'll get a new battery and if the problem is still there I'll let you know thanks again.

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
Thank you guys so much that was the problem and I also found out that there is an on board multimeter on the obc its test 9. I'll get a new battery and if the problem is still there I'll let you know thanks again.
for anyone who runs across this, yes there is a "hidden" OBD voltage reading, however it can be up to .5v low, as it is not reading battery voltage, it is reading voltage on the bus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for anyone who runs across this, yes there is a "hidden" OBD voltage reading, however it can be up to .5v low, as it is not reading battery voltage, it is reading voltage on the bus
It wasn't the battery. I got a new one and the car still won't crank. Do you know how to tell if the key is bad? I doubt that is it because the key was fine for the entire time ive owned the car till now. Anything helps though.

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
Did you look at my post above?

You will have a better outcome if you follow a disciplined diagnostic process and eliminate options. The key being bad is a low-probability option, but if when you turn the car off and open the door it beeps, your key is good.

The highest likelihood after the battery is the starter. Follow my list above and you can isolate the cause.

In any case, here is a video outlining the causes of your issue:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
True. After you put in a new battery and the thing wouldn't even crank over, then the next step is the starter. If the engine cranks but won't run, then it could be fuel pump or ignition system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the car won't turn over. I have a P0604 code. I am very confused on whats the problem the car is old and replaced the starter even though it might not of been the problem just because it was over 18 years old. However I know for sure that the battery, key, and actual stater are not the problem because I have replaced them. could it be bad grounds?

·
Coupe OR Never
1,446 Posts
So the car won't turn over. I have a P0604 code. I am very confused on whats the problem the car is old and replaced the starter even though it might not of been the problem just because it was over 18 years old. However I know for sure that the battery, key, and actual stater are not the problem because I have replaced them. could it be bad grounds?
STOP replacing parts randomly without making sure they are defective first. Our cars (I have one from 2002) are worth nothing these days. If you throw new parts at it randomly, you will quickly go over the total value of your car.

I cannot believe you replaced the starter in this way. It is not an easy process and not a cheap part. And most likely your original one was good.

In your original post, you said you have done some maintenance work and this issue popped up. Are you sure you plugged in all the connectors under the hood properly and never missed anything?
Please first go check every wiring harness. Make sure they are all plugged in. Then watch the above video and follow a proper diagnostic checklist.

If your battery was low, you should still hear some clicking noise even though the engine wasn't cranking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm new to this but have a 2003 bmw 330xi. Recently went to the store came out to start my car and no crank no start. I have a new battery, I also read a post about turning the key once and opening the driver door to hear a chime. I hear no chime. I also get code p0313 and p 1351. I think it's something to do with my key fob or the immobilizer. All fuzes are good. Relays are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
Hi. I'm new to this but have a 2003 bmw 330xi. Recently went to the store came out to start my car and no crank no start. I have a new battery, I also read a post about turning the key once and opening the driver door to hear a chime. I hear no chime. I also get code p0313 and p 1351. I think it's something to do with my key fob or the immobilizer. All fuzes are good. Relays are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You should start a new thread.

Look up the no start video on YouTube by 50skid. Has everything you need to know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts