BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dashboard lights don't work anymore. I replaced all the under the hood fuses having anything to do with the instrument cluster even though they all looked good.

I'll assume this was the cause: The same day they went out, my shifter knob loosened up and I pushed it back down. I shorted the wire going to the LEDs for the gear pattern against the shifter shaft. I've since repaired the wire.

Anyone know of any fuse wires in the circuit? I see reference to a remote fuse box under the LH side of the dash on the Z3 but I can't find anything on my 2000 M Roadster.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
mcmenemy said:
My dashboard lights don't work anymore. I replaced all the under the hood fuses having anything to do with the instrument cluster even though they all looked good.

I'll assume this was the cause: The same day they went out, my shifter knob loosened up and I pushed it back down. I shorted the wire going to the LEDs for the gear pattern against the shifter shaft. I've since repaired the wire.

Anyone know of any fuse wires in the circuit? I see reference to a remote fuse box under the LH side of the dash on the Z3 but I can't find anything on my 2000 M Roadster.
The fuse is the rheostat (variable resistor that controls the dimmed lighting) in the headlight switch.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Sounds like you fried the rheostat in the headlight switch. Sorry.

I've done it too; it's possible to jump around the rheostat to get the lights back on (I always used them at full brightness anyway).

Edit: visual aid!

·
Old Timer
751 Posts
Thanks for posting that pic Randy! I just fixed mine tonite. The fix took 1min, putting the vent and switch back in took 30 mins. Not as bad as I thought, but very cramp area to work in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts