BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car was dropped off at service last Thursday for a re-occurring problem of a strange knocking noise from the steering. It's been 2 years since this problem and first time they replaced the steering rack and it fixed it, then after a year it came back and ever since they are replacing parts and saying that should fix it but it never does.

Today after a week of car being with them, they call me and say this problem effects cars with active steering and It has been reported to BMW NA and they have not found a solution for it. So now I am helpless because even BMW NA doesn't have a fix for it, so I just have to pick the car up and live with the problem.

Here is the video, I don't know if you can tell. It's like a heartbeat noise, tick tick and tick
http://youtu.be/f0ogaw1ohSQ

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
So my car was dropped off at service last Thursday for a re-occurring problem of a strange knocking noise from the steering. It's been 2 years since this problem and first time they replaced the steering rack and it fixed it, then after a year it came back and ever since they are replacing parts and saying that should fix it but it never does.

Today after a week of car being with them, they call me and say this problem effects cars with active steering and It has been reported to BMW NA and they have not found a solution for it. So now I am helpless because even BMW NA doesn't have a fix for it, so I just have to pick the car up and live with the problem.

Here is the video, I don't know if you can tell. It's like a heartbeat noise, tick tick and tick
http://youtu.be/f0ogaw1ohSQ

Google Lemon Law Attorney Georgia and then enjoy your new car. Might want to skip active steering in the new one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely understand your frustration, which is why I'd never consider another.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Yea I might trade it in for a new a8 or a panamera. It's annoying for last 2 years they couldn't fix 1 problem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google Lemon Law Attorney Georgia and then enjoy your new car. Might want to skip active steering in the new one.
I searched, ga lemon law requires it to be a new vehicle, I bought it CPO with 15k miles on it :(

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
I searched, ga lemon law requires it to be a new vehicle, I bought it CPO with 15k miles on it :(

Wow, that sucks. CA just requires it's still under man. warranty.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine is currently at the dealer with the exact same problem. The regional BMW rep is supposed to be looking at it. I will also let you know what their response is. The thing is (for those of you who don't have integral active steering) the steering wheel not only ticks, it is an active tick or kick along with a feeling of looseness or play in the steering. It is an obvious defect and they had better come up with some kind of remedy. The answer "they all do that" is not acceptable. This is a steering component, arguably the most important system in regards to safety.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Seems like the dealer always reverts to the "it's normal" excuse once they can't figure out how to fix something. They've tried that nonsense on me once or twice in the past and I've just fought them until they used the resolutions I've found on the forum. Maybe the service centers need a dedicated bimmerfest terminal.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Yea I might trade it in for a new a8 or a panamera. It's annoying for last 2 years they couldn't fix 1 problem.

I was looking at A8's as well, check out the audi forums, the A8 owners seem to have a bunch of tech glitches, especially with their version of idrive...

·
Registered
2020 BMW 750xi M Sport
344 Posts
I have the same problem although at a much smaller scale. I can feel some faint knocking in the steering wheel, very random otherwise, which disappears completely when I turn of the climate control unit....very weird

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is currently at the dealer with the exact same problem. The regional BMW rep is supposed to be looking at it. I will also let you know what their response is. The thing is (for those of you who don't have integral active steering) the steering wheel not only ticks, it is an active tick or kick along with a feeling of looseness or play in the steering. It is an obvious defect and they had better come up with some kind of remedy. The answer "they all do that" is not acceptable. This is a steering component, arguably the most important system in regards to safety.
Yes its exactly how you described the noise. I picked the car up, the advisor said he has me on an alert list where he checks with bmw at the end of the month on their investigation, and let me know whats the update about this problem.

I hope they find the solution, they are basically saying keep living with a 100k car with problems because we dont know the solution, not good. I think since its in CPO now they are hesitating replacing parts and want authorization with bmw NA. They replaced bunch of stuff for same problem saying, we "think" it might be this, when i had the factory warranty.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was looking at A8's as well, check out the audi forums, the A8 owners seem to have a bunch of tech glitches, especially with their version of idrive...
Yea i need to do some research on the audi.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like the dealer always reverts to the "it's normal" excuse once they can't figure out how to fix something. They've tried that nonsense on me once or twice in the past and I've just fought them until they used the resolutions I've found on the forum. Maybe the service centers need a dedicated bimmerfest terminal.
In the past even i had to give them links on forum where they had similar problem fixed for the dealer to find the part that was wrong. Its ridiculous when they keep saying we cant diagnose it. :mad:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that sucks. CA just requires it's still under man. warranty.
Yea GA rules suck, it has to be new and registered after Jan 2009 for lemon law. Mine had factory warranty when i had these problems and now kicked into CPO.

·
CABimmerNation
1,792 Posts
Yea GA rules suck, it has to be new and registered after Jan 2009 for lemon law. Mine had factory warranty when i had these problems and now kicked into CPO.
It might be worth a 5 minute call to a lemon law attorney and it's free. The attorney I deal with in CA helped me get a huge chunk of change back from BMW because I decided to keep my car (it qualified to be a lemon). He also helped 2 of my friends, one with a 3 series and one with a M6, lemon their cars. In both of those cases, neither exactly qualified for the terms of the lemon law process, but he got it done anyways. The lawyers know every loophole and all the angles. Maybe you can pull the service records and see if it was happening to the original owner or it's a problem BMW knows about or ect, ect, ect. The attorneys on here know, it doesn't matter what the exact rules or stipulations are, there is always a way around it. If lawyers followed the rules they wouldn't be attorneys. Btw, it took me telling each one of friends about 10 times before they finally called, they are both so grateful they finally did. Good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I heavily regret getting my 7. Should have set foot in the S550 as they have proven themselves to be a lot more reliable than the F01/F02. Why can't BMW make a reliable, proper V8 engine?
S550 is not reliable at all. I had one for 3 years. Never again Im going back there. Im considering a Panamera next. Engines are great. Few suspension problems in winter times but overall pretty good and it holds value.

·
Registered
205 Posts
S550 is not reliable at all. I had one for 3 years. Never again Im going back there. Im considering a Panamera next. Engines are great. Few suspension problems in winter times but overall pretty good and it holds value.
The newer panameras except the gts version are turbocharged now.I am pretty sure they will have their share of problems.The GTS is way too stiff to be a luxury car.Its fun for a while but gets tiring quickly if you plan a long trip on it with family.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.