BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting over the shock and disappointment that the most expensive car i've ever bought DOES NOT have split folding rear seats because they're an option (WTF!), I now have a little issue...

I have located the source of some really annoying 'knocking' from the rear. It's basically the rear seats and them moving/having some play when you wobble them. I've had this in other cars, and simply dropped the rear seats, adjusted the catch location and job done.

Does anyone know how I can access the parts that will hold the seat to the car? I assume I can get in through the rear of the boot (if I crawl in upside down), but looks like I will need to remove some trim?

Has anyone done this before I experiment, or indeed have any advice on how to solve this knocking sound?

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found this pic, these will be the culprits for having too much 'play'.

Does anyone know if I can get to the back of these through the boot without having to take the seats actually out?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry man. No idea how to get to it it. I've cursed out all the BMW cars i've owned from one point or another....I just did this morning too. Until i took the sucker out one the road, only to get reminded why I drive a BMW.
Just a comment on the rattling seats. I only had this issue on my E70 X5. But luckly, the seats move up and down due to the third row. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been crawling around in the boot and I can see the above latches. However there's no play in them and I am already accepting that this may be a creak/knock that I'll need to live with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't have the fold down rear seats either. Hell, I don't have a pass through. So far it has never been an issue. It has been a slight pain to get some wires ran discretely from the trunk to the cabin, but still not a deal breaker.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,700 Posts
Never heard of a problem with these, unless the car was in a big old wreck. Do you have Carfax on your side of the pond?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Is it still under warranty? If yes take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, car hasn't been in any accidents, all HPI clear.

This morning, I think I may have narrowed the 'noises' down to the rear windows or doors. As the knocking noise was going on (as I live in the countryside with rough roads) I lowered the rear windows and then closed them - low and behold the noises have stopped?!

So I wonder if it's noisy/creaky runners/seals or dry runners that hold the glass? Will see how it goes this afternoon after it's been parked.

I must point out that these noises are not really loud and it's only a lunatics like me that gets obsessed with them ;-)

·
Super Moderator
7,068 Posts
I did not even realize you could get an F10 without fold-down seats. I was dismayed when I removed the plastic covering the ski pass to find no opening. I was always frustrated that my 7-series did not have the options.

Good luck with your search.

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
I did not even realize you could get an F10 without fold-down seats. I was dismayed when I removed the plastic covering the ski pass to find no opening. I was always frustrated that my 7-series did not have the options.

Good luck with your search.
Oh yeah, that was the best thing left off mine when ordered. I left the folders off specifically as was considering having the car quite awhile and didn't want rattles, creeks and groans cropping up due to latch and hinge wear. It's 5 years and 66500mi. later and not so much as a pop from the back seat. It has only been an inconvenience when wanting to take the long guns somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts