1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Byron
162 Posts
And that would be old news in these parts. There seems to be an almost visceral hatred for wagons that is inversely as strong as the appeal of SUVs. If it just comes down to cargo capacity then minivans should rule as they can haul even more crap than an SUV. I wish that Audi would take a chance on bringing over the RS4 Avant. I'm finally able to afford one but it's verboten for all of us NA knuckle-draggers.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
It's not just customer demand in the U.S. They build X3's and X5's here, and Billy Bob from South Carolina makes a significantly lower wage that Hans and Franz in Dingolfing, Regensburg, and Leipzig. In addition to commanding a higher price in the market place, an American-made SUV is cheaper to make than a similar size wagon made in Germany.

Frau Putzer demanded an SUV this time around, and got an X3 30i xDrive. I was philosophically opposed to SUV's. But, it is easier to get in and out of, and is great for runs to Sam's Club. I can put a six-pack ice chest in the floor in front of the back seats in the X3. There's not enough room for that in my F10 535i.

With a high center of gravity and "SUV" tires, the X3 is not a vehicle that I flick around though. I was coming up to double left turn lanes at an intersection today. The left turn light had just turned green, and there were lines of stopped cars in the lanes just starting to pull away. The light would stay green until there are no more cars in the lanes making a left turn. I was coasting up to the behind the line of left turning car, pacing myself so that they'd be moving by the time I got up to them. Somebody in a full-size, 4X4 pick-up was behind me, and crowding me. So, I kept slowing down to the point that the left-most left turn lane and intersection were clear by the time I got there. I then kept up my speed until, late braked and then trail braked into the turn, and charged through the intersection fast enough that my high-performance tires started to grind a little. After going thought the intersection and going a few hundred feet, I looked in the rear view mirror. The jackass in the pick-up was way back there, and never bothered me again. I couldn't have played my little game in the X3. I could have done that in a F31/G21/F11/G31 wagon... after ditching the OE tires.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
It's not just customer demand in the U.S. They build X3's and X5's here, and Billy Bob from South Carolina makes a significantly lower wage that Hans and Franz in Dingolfing, Regensburg, and Leipzig. In addition to commanding a higher price in the market place, an American-made SUV is cheaper to make than a similar size wagon made in Germany.
Knudt Flor, Billy Bob, and their colleagues at BMW Manufacturing Co. LLC in Spartanburg simply do a better job with all aspects of vehicle assembly compared to their counterparts in Germany.

Same goes for the folks that manage and work at the new Plant San Luis Potosí assembling G20.

Advantage: North America

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Knudt Flor, Billy Bob, and their colleagues at BMW Manufacturing Co. LLC in Spartanburg simply do a better job with all aspects of vehicle assembly compared to their counterparts in Germany.

Same goes for the folks that manage and work at the new Plant San Luis Potosí assembling G20.

Advantage: North America
It's getting harder and harder to call a car a "German car," or an "American car" anymore. My 2014 535 has 70% German parts content and 5% US/Canadian parts content. Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 has 35% German parts content and 25% US/Canadian parts content. A 2019 X3 loaner I had even fewer German and US/Canadian parts. They put a laminated copy of the window sticker in the loaners.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,585 Posts
Greer SC. Biggest BMW plant in the world. They build all the X3,X5,X7's why not source US parts instead of shipping from Europe?:dunno:

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Greer SC. Biggest BMW plant in the world. They build all the X3,X5,X7's why not source US parts instead of shipping from Europe?:dunno:
The wheels on my 2014 535i were made in Italy. The wheels on Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 were made in China. The front license plate holder (currently in a cardboard box in the linen closet because I live in one of the 19 more civilized states) was also made in China.

Guess where X3's, and therefore X3 parts, are also built. Hint: It begins with "C" and ends with "hina."

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,585 Posts
The wheels on my 2014 535i were made in Italy. The wheels on Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 were made in China. The front license plate holder (currently in a cardboard box in the linen closet because I live in one of the 19 more civilized states) was also made in China.

Guess where X3's, and therefore X3 parts, are also built. Hint: It begins with "C" and ends with "hina."
Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 has 35% German parts content and 25% US/Canadian parts content.

Still leaves 40% from elsewhere ie: "C" "Hina" & still better then 60%/40% the other way.:thumbup:

BTW I don't save the front plate mounts no need for the closet clutter.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Still leaves 40% from elsewhere ie: "C" "Hina" & still better then 60%/40% the other way.:thumbup:

BTW I don't save the front plate mounts no need for the closet clutter.
I usually sell my old cars to friends / relatives / co-workers / neighbors, or friends / relatives / co-workers / neighbors of my friends / relatives / co-workers / neighbors. Some of them end up being in one of the 31 uncivilized states, and getting a front tag bracket for twelve year old car isn't always easy. So, having a front tag bracket safely boxed up can come in handy ten or twelve years after we buy a new car. Frau Putzer's old Honda Accord went to Iowa this year, one of the uncivilized states.

Frau Putzer was demanding an SUV this time around. I get big discounts on GM stuff. She turned her nose up at every SUV GM built. But, one day in traffic she saw an SUV that she really liked. It was far enough away that I couldn't figure out the make. I started Googling and found out it was a Buick Envision. Further Googling uncovered they're made in China, with probably 90% Chinese parts. ***8230;.. not in my driveway.

GM makes more profit in China than they do in the US. Buick over there has the same status in the marketplace as BMW does here. Not only to they make Buicks there, they make better Buicks there.

We're eventually moving to the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. I'm going to get a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels for the X3. All the aftermarket wheels are made in China. I was going to do the right thing and get some OE wheels... but not after looking on the back of the OE wheels during the X3's first tire rotation.

When the parts content for the 2019 X3 loaner was different than for our 2018, I figured something was up. Google shows that BMW started X3 production in China in May 2018. Likely not by coincidence, the production run for MY2018 X3's was very short (maybe six months), ending around... oh, let's see.... May 2018.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
Not only to they make Buicks there, they make better Buicks there.
+1
According to J.D. Power, the GM model that ranked highest in the 2018 IQS was Buick Envision. The plant that assembles Buick Envision, Yantai Dongyue plant 2, was also the highest ranked plant among all GM facilities globally that produce vehicles for the U.S. market.

Also, China gets a Buick LaCrosse 30H with the excellent Voltec based hybrid system that's also used in Malibu Hybrid. The U.S. market by comparison gets a lame eAssist "light" hybrid for LaCrosse. In 2019, Buick LaCrosse production will cease in the U.S.

FWIW, Dingolfing was the highest ranked BMW Group plant in the same survey. That plant does have a very high cost structure though, which is why I think Spartanburg and San Luis Potosí are still superior overall.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
+1
According to J.D. Power, the GM model that ranked highest in the 2018 IQS was Buick Envision. The plant that assembles Buick Envision, Yantai Dongyue plant 2, was also the highest ranked plant among all GM facilities globally that produce vehicles for the U.S. market.

Also, China gets a Buick LaCrosse 30H with the excellent Voltec based hybrid system that's also used in Malibu Hybrid. The U.S. market by comparison gets a lame eAssist "light" hybrid for LaCrosse. In 2019, Buick LaCrosse production will cease in the U.S.

FWIW, Dingolfing was the highest ranked BMW Group plant in the same survey. That plant does have a very high cost structure though, which is why I think Spartanburg and San Luis Potosí are still superior overall.
The old UAW wage scales were slowly killing the U.S. auto-industry. The meltdown and bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler caused the UAW to accept a two-tier wage scale, with new hires making about half what the existing UAW members make. The UAW made rumbles of demanding to go back to the old wage scale now that the Detroit manufacturers are all three back on their feet again. But, Ford's decision to stop U.S. passenger car production except Mustang, and GM's recently ending production of several platforms early probably put the kabash on raises for UAW members.

The German union organized autoworkers are also highly paid. That's why BMW is moving production out of western Europe. The model for just about any manufacturing company now is design at home, and build overseas using robots designed and built a home.

There was (past tense) a Ford final assembly plant where I grew up. I knew several people who worked there. Getting a job at Ford meant making twice what they could have made working anywhere else in the area. Most of the people working at Ford were hired because they had a relative working there. It was literally like winning a $1M lottery ticket: $33.3k extra per year, for 30 years.

There's a reason all the "foreign" manufacturers build their U.S. plants outside the north east or mid-west (UAW country). BMW in Spartanburg pays about $16/hour and when they're hiring there's a line literally wrapping around the factory building. Toyota ended up with GM's other half of the UAW "organized" NUMI factory in Freemont, California. They eventually had enough with the UAW and California in general, unloaded the Freemont plant (now building Tesla's) and started over in Texas.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree with you. My wife and I own an F31 (2016 328i) wagon. It has the standard suspension and the turbo-four engine. We can take curves at 80 mph that would cause a Toyota Camry to spin out at 50mph; I wouldn't risk it in an X3 or X5. Our wagon handled well at 40 mph in a vicious pounding blizzard and torrential rain. All this on all-season run-flats. I wish I could have bought a 5 series wagon because of the additional space. Still, our wagon hauls pretty much what we need, has a roof rack with cross members for more, and gets 24 miles per gallon in city driving if we use Eco mode 90% of the time, with 21 mpg if we use a mix of Comfort, Eco and Sport mode. I could not ask for more. I lodged a protest about the wagon discontinuation with Bill Pearce Motors in Reno, who sold us our car. They were sypathetic and regretted the decision too, but I respect that it's a business and it needs to sell cars. I am one who believes that gasoline taxes should be higher because in the US we have the right to pollute without personal consequences, and I think gas taxes can do two things. Reduce pollution and consumption, make wagons more attractive and support mass transit. Obviously there will be plenty here who will disagree. Personally, I want to ride a train or bus to work every day and enjoy the BMW for outings and on the weekend and for large grocery runs.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
I lodged a protest about the wagon discontinuation with Bill Pearce Motors in Reno, who sold us our car. They were sypathetic and regretted the decision too, but I respect that it's a business and it needs to sell cars.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your F31, but I'm afraid that without more people like you purchasing wagon models, BMW of NA's offerings in that vehicle class will continue to dwindle in the U.S. market.

Europe, especially Germany and Scandinavia, will be the primary market for G21 (or whatever designation applies to the G20 Touring).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm really pissed off at BMW NA for this decision. I see far more F31s on the road than X4s and X6s combined which in my opinion are a couple of the more hideous vehicles BMW offers. I haven't decided whether to rid myself of my F31 and/or E61 and abandon the brand altogether or keep what I've got and enjoy them until the end of their useful lives. My wife is an SUV loyalist and most likely will get a new X3 to replace her current X3 soon but that is her decision.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying your F31, but I'm afraid that without more people like you purchasing wagon models, BMW of NA's offerings in that vehicle class will continue to dwindle in the U.S. market.

Europe, especially Germany and Scandinavia, will be the primary market for G21 (or whatever designation applies to the G20 Touring).
You can't dwindle down below zero.

One of the nails on the coffin of BMW wagons in the U.S. was that they were all xDrives. Here in the south, most BMW SUV's are sDrives (2WD).

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I'm really pissed off at BMW NA for this decision. I see far more F31s on the road than X4s and X6s combined which in my opinion are a couple of the more hideous vehicles BMW offers. I haven't decided whether to rid myself of my F31 and/or E61 and abandon the brand altogether or keep what I've got and enjoy them until the end of their useful lives. My wife is an SUV loyalist and most likely will get a new X3 to replace her current X3 soon but that is her decision.
I've had a change of heart about Frau Putzer's X3. The smaller footprint than my 535i makes it easier to park, and less likely to get whacked by Billy Bob in is F-250 or Muffy in her Tahoe. It's handy for loading up with crap from Sam's Club. It's easier to get in and out of. Finally, I can put a six-pack ice chest in the floor behind the front seats. I can't do that with my 535i.

But, today I was flicking my Michelin PSS-shod 535i around enough to have it slide some. I can't do that in the X3.. and have it still be an enjoyable experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like the X1, X3, and X5 because they actually have value as utility vehicles. It's the "coupe-like" SAVs that really get under my skin because they are displacing the wagons at the expense of performance and style over performance and utility.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,633 Posts
I've had a change of heart about Frau Putzer's X3. The smaller footprint than my 535i makes it easier to park, and less likely to get whacked by Billy Bob in is F-250 or Muffy in her Tahoe. It's handy for loading up with crap from Sam's Club. It's easier to get in and out of. Finally, I can put a six-pack ice chest in the floor behind the front seats. I can't do that with my 535i.
Did you buy the Poland Springs for personal consumption, or are you the trainer for a Roller Derby team? Man, the last thing my prostate needs is 10 million 12 oz bottles of water.

At least now we've figured out who's maintaining the Great North Pacific Garbage Patch.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Did you buy the Poland Springs for personal consumption, or are you the trainer for a Roller Derby team? Man, the last thing my prostate needs is 10 million 12 oz bottles of water.

At least now we've figured out who's maintaining the Great North Pacific Garbage Patch.
Our tap water is horrible. With a bowl of tap water and a bowl of spring water next to each other, our cats always drink the spring water. That says a lot, considering that they also lick their own butts.

I sweat like a pig. When I was in the military they constantly wanted to send me to sick call because I sweated so much. I also piss like a horse and I'm constantly thirsty, thanks to some med's I'm taking. So, I have to guzzle water. We go through about 60 liters (three cases) of water each week. During hurricane season, I stockpile about twelve cases, because the bottled water supply gets diverted to disaster areas when needed.

But, don't worry about the GNPGP. I recycle! I've combined that with my other passion, Excel. According to my recycling.xlsx file, I took 95 buckets of plastic, plus ten large plastic jugs or jars in for recycling in 2018. I de-cap, de-ring, and de-label by water bottles. Then, I cut them in half, telescope the two halves together, and then flatten them. The noise this makes pisses off the cats and Frau Putzer, though.

A laundry basket of water bottles compresses into a kitty litter bucket (~5.4 gallons). I also took 17 of those blue bins of flattened cardboard, and five buckets of smashed cans in for recycling. With all of my recycling, our household trash is usually only two kitchen trash bags per week. We can miss putting the trash out for three weeks and still not fill a roll-away can.

Chicks dig recycling. There was a cute, young math nerdette (BS with a 4.0 GPA) two cube's down from me at work. She initially ignored me like I was some creepy old man. (I guess she was a mind reader, too.) But, when she saw my recycling bucket under my desk she started talking to me.

I used to tell my single friends that the county recycling station is a great place to meet chicks, especially on Saturdays, and they're a lot more friendly if you're driving a BMW instead of a Cobalt. But after the hurricane our county stopped recycling. But, we visit friends in the next county over once or twice a month and we take a load of recyclables along with us.

Our friends in the next county are worm famers. So, we collect coffee grounds from the Starbucks near our house. Apparently, worms really like coffee grounds... sort of caffeinated dirt. Without sleep, the worms do more eating and more ****ing***8230;..... so... more and bigger worms! :p

That red ice chest in the back of the X3 is not part of my recycling. It's full of... bottled water. I never leave the house without it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts