BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just looking for advice on what to do here. My 2009 X35D cut off on the highway at about 80mph a week ago with no indicator lights associated. I had to take the key out and reinsert to start and it ran fine. Progressively happening more frequently I had it towed to dealer after a few days. I was originally informed it was the DDE but the dealers final diagnosis was given to them directly from BMW as not DDE, because they can communicate with it, but that all fuel injectors need to be replaced. There is no code showing. I had it towed from there to another shop to try and save money and confirmed no code. I do have a broken bulk trim shroud that could be leaking on those last two injectors. All post I see on that people have codes shown. Can I buy cheaper injectors? Refurbished ok? eBay?? I***8217;m nervous it***8217;s not the issue but have no clue what else it could be. At this point the car will not move 5 feet without shutting its self off. When it is running, it is very shaky and has a heavy knocking sound. It has a fresh oil change, fresh dealer installed glow plugs and their control module. This problem began 300 miles after that repair.
The truck has 162000 miles and I can***8217;t pay the dealer quote of 3500 for this repair that seems to be somewhat of a guess as they won***8217;t guarantee the fix. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Please help. I live in RI and would sell this for $3k right now. Do you think I can find a buyer being in my situation? I love this vehicle and want to keep but it has been too much money for me to get to this point.
Thank you

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,571 Posts
You paid for injectors and pre-heat module and they are not honoring any warranty of workmanship or merchantability of parts?! Lawyer up!

DTC***8217;s were recorded even without dash lights. Heavy knocking sound from while YOU were driving it or while it was in the mechanics custody? Heavy knocking is due to failed connecting rod big end bearing and a ruined motor very likely. Lawyer up!

·
Registered
682 Posts
"dealer installed glow plugs and their control module"

Doug, He didn't get injectors done, that's another issue due to the water leaking.

It's usually inj 5 and/or 6. There should be a bmw code for the inj or a bank of inj (bank 2 is the back 3 common wire shared).

An inj is around 300, bosch, and I'm not sure labor cost as I did them myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct I did not have injectors changed. Can I try to have those two changed and be ok? Dealer says change all or light will stay on.
Knocking is just a very rough idle assumed from misfire due to injector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob, do you have a link to these injectors for 300? I***8217;m finding 434 to be the cheapest new Bosch. I***8217;m really curious of having shop just change two. At this point I have to try and sell as is or take this hail Mary.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,882 Posts
dont use a dealer, they will screw you

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
I think you have a wiring issue.

Any aftermarket crap on this car like an aftermarket alarm or engine shut off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing aftermarket. The progress of this problem was from perfect to won***8217;t stay idling in a matter of 200 miles. After first cut out I drove it for probably 150 miles and the last 50 miles it cut out more and more. After pick up from dealer it was the worst. Like their testing pushed it to the edge. I have towed it to two shops since dealer. One guy can***8217;t get any codes and doesn***8217;t know what to do with it and next guy is looking into testing the fuel system. The only indicator it***8217;s the fuel system is me knowing I have that bad shroud that could leak on the last two injectors and the dealer saying it needs injectors. No clue how they got there. My other thoughts are crank shaft positioning sensor or timing?

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
Do you understand the operation, intent and effect of the Crankshaft Position Sensor AND the Camshaft Position Sensor, they work together to do what, do you believe? The CPS***8217;s are used diffferently in a diesel than a gasser, and they are used in injection timing in a diesel.

If you will post your location then perhaps a local can help you find a competent BMW shop, otherwise the blind are leading the credulous blind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug thanks for your concern of my understanding but I will not be doing the work myself and am simply looking for leads on solving my issue. I have taken the car to competent shops appear to have a odd situation. As I am still moving the car from shop to shop looking for answers I would gladly take a recommendation. I am in Rhode Island.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,571 Posts
... My other thoughts are crank shaft positioning sensor or timing?
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 xDrive35d SAV / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Power train / Diesel electronics DDE7 / Engine speed recording / Engine speed detection DDE7

Functional Description / ... / Diesel electronics DDE7 / ... / ... “Two sensors are used to detect the engine speed and the position of the camshaft and the crankshaft: ... “

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ectronics-dde7/engine-speed-recording/XpbfSR5

·
Registered
682 Posts
It was a year+ ago, I typed the Bosch and BMW part numbers into eBay and looked for the best deal. I got the Bosch number by looking at a picture on another site that sells the injectors. 445 115 077 Bosch
13537808089 BMW

·
Registered
830 Posts
There's the problem with not having the vehicle right HERE to look at. Sudden shutoff could be as simple as a bad ground strap. Or as complex as needing a whole new fuel system. I know that mechanics these days are trained to throw parts at it until the symptoms go away, but what the OP needs is an old fart mechanic who actually knows how to track down problems and fix them. I wish I could offer more help than that, but I do wish him good luck in finding the guy who can track down and exterminate his problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts