BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just turned 17 and a year ago I got my 97 740i with 159k mi. We got it from my dads friend. I absolutely loved it. We picked it up for 6 grand after doing some immediate maintenance. Then we spent another 2k maintaining it.

So recently the trans started going out even though it had been replaced. It just turned over 176k mi. It also had bad cats, ac fan, radio, window, something with suspension, and brakes. On top of that we were spending 400$ a month on gas. Luckily my parents paid for all of this considering I only lifeguard part time in the summer.
My dad told me I need to get a new cheaper car and I refused and said I would only be willing to get a certified 3series but my dad said no.

So I figured that I would go test drive a vw. I drove a 2011 jetta se and wow! Was I amazed. It drove just like a BMW or at least pretty similar. So we went in and got some numbers and I ended up with my own 2011 jetta! :D
I do still have a huge love and addiction to BMWs and I WILL be back as soon as I can afford to buy my own new 3 series or something. But its not practical for a high school/college student to drive an 80k 7series. and I would be stupid not to get a 23k car my parents are giving to me.
We traded the Bimmer for 3k which was good considering it had a bad trans and all the other stuff.
It's a big breath of fresh air for now. I went in the vw dealership which is very very nice btw and I have free maintenance for the 1st 36k mi like a BMW, thinking that I was just gonna prove to myself that I can only have a BMW, but I was wrong.
So for now, see you later BMW I will miss you and thank you everyone for all your help on this forum, I will be back to BMW!

Btw, is there a forum forum for vw owners? Lol

I will never forget my 740. I loved it and will always love it. It was hard to say goodbye but when it's time to get rid of a car, it's time. Bye Bianca the BMW. Lol

·
Is a real boy
585 Posts
Sorry to hear you're leaving the Bavaria Crew. Jettas, while cheap, aren't really reliable. Hopefully you'll have better luck than most.

A large VW community is VWvortex dot com. Very large.

Have fun in your new (to you) VAG product :)

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
So I just turned 17 and a year ago I got my 97 740i with 159k mi. We got it from my dads friend. I absolutely loved it. We picked it up for 6 grand after doing some immediate maintenance. Then we spent another 2k maintaining it.

So recently the trans started going out even though it had been replaced. It just turned over 176k mi. It also had bad cats, ac fan, radio, window, something with suspension, and brakes. On top of that we were spending 400$ a month on gas. Luckily my parents paid for all of this considering I only lifeguard part time in the summer.
My dad told me I need to get a new cheaper car and I refused and said I would only be willing to get a certified 3series but my dad said no.

So I figured that I would go test drive a vw. I drove a 2011 jetta se and wow! Was I amazed. It drove just like a BMW or at least pretty similar. So we went in and got some numbers and I ended up with my own 2011 jetta! :D
I do still have a huge love and addiction to BMWs and I WILL be back as soon as I can afford to buy my own new 3 series or something. But its not practical for a high school/college student to drive an 80k 7series. and I would be stupid not to get a 23k car my parents are giving to me.
We traded the Bimmer for 3k which was good considering it had a bad trans and all the other stuff.
It's a big breath of fresh air for now. I went in the vw dealership which is very very nice btw and I have free maintenance for the 1st 36k mi like a BMW, thinking that I was just gonna prove to myself that I can only have a BMW, but I was wrong.
So for now, see you later BMW I will miss you and thank you everyone for all your help on this forum, I will be back to BMW!

I will never forget my 740. I loved it and will always love it. It was hard to say goodbye but when it's time to get rid of a car, it's time. Bye Bianca the BMW. Lol
Yep.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Yes. vwvortex.com is probably the biggest and best VW forum. Every VW car is represented there. A lot of Jetta owners.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Good luck with it! I have an '02 Passat and appreciate it more and more everyday. My has an '08 Passat and he really likes it as well. I think you will be happy with the Jetta. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Congratulations - you made a wise choice. I would hate to spend that much money on maintaining a car when you are young. The 2011 Jetta will get you through college and a bit more - just in time to get your hands on a brand new BMW.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone.
I will defiantly check all those forums out.
I just hope and pray I don't have trouble with it.
And I will be back to BMW!

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My daughter had over 50k miles on hers when she got a new Jetta and my son-in-law's has ver 80k on his now with very few problems. You should be fine with yours.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If I tried to play hardball with my dad like that (demanding a certified 3), I woulda been laughed out of my house.

Enjoy your jetta though. Did you get the diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I was being a little unreasonable. Nope its the 2.5 5cylinder. Here it is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I drove the new Jettas and was equally impressed. Will drive the GLI when it comes out. Even the TDI was fun.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah. I was being a little unreasonable. Nope its the 2.5 5cylinder. Here it is.

I'm curious.....
- Who is paying the monthly payments or who paid for it. You or dad?
- Who is paying the insurance?
- Who is paying for fuel and maintenance?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm curious.....
I bet the same who paid for the 7....

Some kids are just luckier then I was growing up

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm curious.....
Well the maintenance is free for now, but dad pays for basically everything except for like
Accessories and stuff :)
I know. I love my parents!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I bet the same who paid for the 7....

Some kids are just luckier then I was growing up

My kids were not so lucky I guess. I helped them purchase their first vehicles by kicking in about $500 each kid. All vehicles needed work. I then taught them how to repair and maintain their own vehicles. Each of them 7-9 years later still repair and maintain their vehicles only needing my help on occasion. One son started with a 93 Taurus SHO and now has a mint 99 M3. He recently rebuilt his vanos by himself with so few tools it amazed me. (He in AZ, me in MA) My other son likes jeeps. He started with a 94 Jeep Wrangle that needed lot's of work. He now has a 99 Wrangler. He recently pulled both differentials, installed new ring and pinions in each with tru-tracker differentials. He required my assistance to help holding stuff. He even built his own case spreader for Dana series rear axles.

If I were a multi-millionaire I'd not change a thing.

·
Greg
209 Posts
Show some respect for your parents.......you "refused"....with that attitude you should be walking. Your parents deserve better. You probably have no idea how fortunate you are....JMHO.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My kids were not so lucky I guess. I helped them purchase their first vehicles by kicking in about $500 each kid. All vehicles needed work. I then taught them how to repair and maintain their own vehicles. Each of them 7-9 years later still repair and maintain their vehicles only needing my help on occasion. One son started with a 93 Taurus SHO and now has a mint 99 M3. He recently rebuilt his vanos by himself with so few tools it amazed me. (He in AZ, me in MA) My other son likes jeeps. He started with a 94 Jeep Wrangle that needed lot's of work. He now has a 99 Wrangler. He recently pulled both differentials, installed new ring and pinions in each with tru-tracker differentials. He required my assistance to help holding stuff. He even built his own case spreader for Dana series rear axles.

If I were a multi-millionaire I'd not change a thing.
Were you my dad...?

Nope. While my parents had nice new cars, they made me work for enough money to buy a nice VW Golf and only pitched in money to help with repairs when they were satisfied I had tried 110% to get it squared away on my own. I'm entirely thankful for that as well, I cherish everything I have.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the problem is that my dad although knows a lot about cars, cannot/doesn't repair his own cars. He can do the basics. Change oil, filters ect. But all of our cars now go to the dealership. He also just doesn't have the time to show me and I don't have the time to learn. We live a very hectic lifestyle and its become mandatory that I have a car to get to school, swimming practice, and work in the summer. My parents bought me this car bc it is safe,dependable, and fuel efficent. And it actually ends up saving us money from owning the old 740. I admire people that can get dirty and fix their own cars but I will probably end up like my dad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Show some respect for your parents.......you "refused"....with that attitude you should be walking. Your parents deserve better. You probably have no idea how fortunate you are....JMHO.
Let me clarify that quote as I was trying to shorten the op. My dad told me that I needed to sell my BMW that I absolutely loved and suggested something like a Hyundai. I was very reluctant to this bc I despise any Asian cheap car. I said that I would rather just have like 1500$ to upgrade my 7 to a newer 3series. And he said no. So I was like I will just keep my car. Also. What started this argument was bc my parents asked what I wanted for my birthday(its Thursday) and I said just to keep my car running or get another BMW. Then he suggested that I should get a Hyundai and I ended up just saying. Whatever Il keep the 7 and when the trans goes, Il walk.

Then, we found the jetta! Know everyone in the family is happy :)

But I do get what you are saying/ where you are coming from. I guess I am spoiled at least car wise. But if you think I am, you should see the parking lot at my high school.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts