BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No Manual Gearbox In New M3

10621 89
Is this article correct that there won't be a manual in the new M3?Didn't BMW already confirm that there would be a manual in the new M3?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/201...ionizing-the-BMW-M3&utm_campaign=awdailydrive
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
and the hits keep coming. I bet I will need to buy in the end of the lease because in 3 years probably there will be no manual BMW period. :cry:

And please I don't want to see posts like the new auto manuals are much better. There is such things as tradition. Hell the Brits still have a queen. :D
I was under the impression they are still available just like the new M5 and that the one after this one will be no more manual. I refuse to buy a sports car with an automanual, DCT, F1, PDK , ETC;
I agree,the manual in the M3 is just to much fun.
The article said the DCT was standard, I suspect the MT will be offered as a no cost option.

CA
i dont own a manual car (too much hassle with traffic, heavy snow and winter conditions) but no manual gearbox in m3? thats ridiculous i dont think theyd ever do that. but then again i didnt think they would throw away the 3er/m3 coupe name..
The article says: "Additionally, for the first time since its inception in 1986, there will be no manual gearbox".
The article said the DCT was standard, I suspect the MT will be offered as a no cost option.

CA
Yeah, the phase-out is beginning. Food for thought... the 2013 S4 refresh has dropped the manual transmission for Europe... yes, you read that right, one of the sportiest mass produced sedans out there will not be offered in Europe, home of millions of die-hard manual transmission fans, with a manual tranny. S-tronic 8 speed dual clutch only.

In the US though you can still get the 2013 S4 with a 6MT... for now.
hmm.. this doesn't jive with what Albert Biermann (M's head of engineering) said recently.

"The M3 needs to have a stick shift. It will always have a stick shift."
if thats the case then and there in fact is no manual gearbox in the new m3s then bmw lost a customer.. (probably more than just me )
It all started with the damn dipstick going away!:thumbdwn:
Yeah, the phase-out is beginning. Food for thought... the 2013 S4 refresh has dropped the manual transmission for Europe... yes, you read that right, one of the sportiest mass produced sedans out there will not be offered in Europe, home of millions of die-hard manual transmission fans, with a manual tranny. S-tronic 8 speed dual clutch only.

In the US though you can still get the 2013 S4 with a 6MT... for now.
I stand corrected. It did indeed say that,

CA
The article says: "Additionally, for the first time since its inception in 1986, there will be no manual gearbox".
You have more control with a manual driving in the snow and icy conditions.
i dont own a manual car (too much hassle with traffic, heavy snow and winter conditions) but no manual gearbox in m3? thats ridiculous i dont think theyd ever do that. but then again i didnt think they would throw away the 3er/m3 coupe name..
Personally, I wouldn't trust Autoweek on this. It doesn't really make sense, considering you can get both the F30 and the new M5 with a manual (in least in the U.S.). I imagine the MT take rate for those cars is lower than the M3.
Hmmm...no MT - not so big - MT was so old school...
I jus' hope that BMW offers "active sound"
as an alternative hip engaging technology -
If Audi drops the MT on the next RS4 then it's a sure thing that BMW will do the same on the M3. Remember, Audi no longer offers the MT on the S4 in Europe, which is amazing considering that many buyers there prefer manuals to automatics.

What I predict is that cars that have manual are going to go increasingly high end... you will always be able to get a manual transmission (well, as long as there are gas burners out there) but the level of enthusiast car required to get that is going to keep going up.

If you want a high performance car with a manual right now, your best bet is to get a Corvette.
Personally, I wouldn't trust Autoweek on this. It doesn't really make sense, considering you can get both the F30 and the new M5 with a manual (in least in the U.S.). I imagine the MT take rate for those cars is lower than the M3.
While many people in Europe do drive manuals and like them, I've read that most European buyers now consider a DCT type transmission to be sportier/more desirable than a manual. Getting the DCT is effectively breaking away from the norm. In the U.S., where almost everyone drives an automatic, it's kind of the opposite. Getting a manual is breaking away from the norm and is seen as sportier by some people. That's why Audi is still offering the S4 with a manual in the U.S., and that's why I will be extremely surprised if a MT is not available on the next M3.
If Audi drops the MT on the next RS4 then it's a sure thing that BMW will do the same on the M3. Remember, Audi no longer offers the MT on the S4 in Europe, which is amazing considering that many buyers there prefer manuals to automatics.

What I predict is that cars that have manual are going to go increasingly high end... you will always be able to get a manual transmission (well, as long as there are gas burners out there) but the level of enthusiast car required to get that is going to keep going up.

If you want a high performance car with a manual right now, your best bet is to get a Corvette.
Don't know why everyone in here is spewing the Europe is full of manual trans loving driving enthusiasts...if the numbers reflected that Audi and BMW would still be offering them there

I remember reading one of the euro head honchos (think head of BMW) said that performance drivers in Europe wants dct flappy paddle gearboxes Wilbur economy drivers want the manual and only Americans really want the manual in there performance cars...enjoy it the companies are listening and accommodating your desire for a mt but consensus will continue to phase them out
I'm not sure how much driving you have done in Europe, but everyone (and I mean everyone) when I was last there about six years ago had a car with a manual transmission... a sporty car there is usually a turbo diesel with a decent amount of pep to it. Only the wealthy there can afford real sports/performance autos. The difference between here and there is, over there, even if their car only has 120 horsepower, they still will bang 90+ mph down the autobahn with it.

It's impressive to me that the DSG transmission is changing that perception. The DSG on the S4 is amazing.
Don't know why everyone in here is spewing the Europe is full of manual trans loving driving enthusiasts...if the numbers reflected that Audi and BMW would still be offering them there

I remember reading one of the euro head honchos (think head of BMW) said that performance drivers in Europe wants dct flappy paddle gearboxes Wilbur economy drivers want the manual and only Americans really want the manual in there performance cars...enjoy it the companies are listening and accommodating your desire for a mt but consensus will continue to phase them out
Tagged along on a tour of the Port Hueneme DC that was given to an AZ Z3/4 club. The guide was very candid that BMW wants manual to go away. The epiphany for me was seeing the 8sp auto at no charge on the F30.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.