BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there no more moldings? I thought they were functional against stupid people with shopping carts and such. I just noticed at the parking lot here that most of cars have it except new bimmers, acuras and minis. G35 have optional moldings (just an adhesive strip). Is it gradually becoming a new trend?

·
Registered
40 Posts
How much would they help anyway? I got a Target shopping cart on my left rear door
and it made 3 medium dents and 2 long and large creases. I actually think the molding
would have made things worse or more expensive to fix (I paid $600 to the guy who
fixed it and it was the best $600 I ever spent).

What I think is lame is the fact that our 3 series don't have felt protection on the inside
of all 4 windows. That means tinted windows run the risk of getting scratches on the tint.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much would they help anyway? I got a Target shopping cart on my left rear door
and it made 3 medium dents and 2 long and large creases. I actually think the molding
would have made things worse or more expensive to fix (I paid $600 to the guy who
fixed it and it was the best $600 I ever spent).
I think if the molding had actually prevented dents on the door, it would have been cheaper to just change the molding (and it could have no damage at all) :dunno:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think it is just a design decision, like painting bumpers so they get scratched the first time someone bumps you while parking.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It probably doesn't make much of a difference. The moldings on my E46 don't seem to protect the car from damage since most other vehicles' doors (and even shopping carts) seem to be at least a few inches higher than my moldings. I've got a few @#$% dings and they're all at least 4-6" above my moldings.

·
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness
8,600 Posts
Because they are FUGLY especially when they aren't color coded and of course like others mentioned it doesn't seem to stop the damage anyway. My *cough* Cavalier (two cars ago OK), but they were color coded, paid extra for that LOL) had them and all the damage was above them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It probably doesn't make much of a difference. The moldings on my E46 don't seem to protect the car from damage since most other vehicles' doors (and even shopping carts) seem to be at least a few inches higher than my moldings. I've got a few @#$% dings and they're all at least 4-6" above my moldings.
This is true, alot of rear door sedans have cut outs for the rear wheel well and hit first above the moulding. Also metal and plastic(mouldings) fade in time to a different color. Plastic really doesnt keep its color down here, but neither does metal. Problem is that they fade at different rates and then they are real fugly.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Those puffy lumpers are horrifically ugly, that's why they're gone. Just look at any E46 and you'll see why it was replaced by a classier, cleaner car. That's part of the reason why an E46 looks much older than it should; it supercedes the new millennium.

BJ

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm in the minority here, but I actually paid extra to add the optional mouldings on my G35 coupe when I git it 3 years ago.. and so far I think they have protected my door well enough especially at work where the spots are so narrow..

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
I'm in the minority here, but I actually paid extra to add the optional mouldings on my G35 coupe when I git it 3 years ago.. and so far I think they have protected my door well enough especially at work where the spots are so narrow..
: puke:

BJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts