Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't believe no one has posted about this yet. Shouldn't we be having a Bimmerfest celebration?! :bigpimp: No poor sap will ever again buy a new BMW 3er that lacks the cool factor of LED coronas and headlights. The Bimmer gods finally listened. :D

Gone will be the days of threads asking "how can I convert my terrible halogens to LEDs? Is it plug and play? Are there any LED bulbs I can buy and where? If I convert my headlights will I have to have them coded?"

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Can't believe no one has posted about this yet. Shouldn't we be having a Bimmerfest celebration?! :bigpimp: No poor sap will ever again buy a new BMW 3er that lacks the cool factor of LED coronas and headlights. The Bimmer gods finally listened. :D

Gone will be the days of threads asking "how can I convert my terrible halogens to LEDs? Is it plug and play? Are there any LED bulbs I can buy and where? If I convert my headlights will I have to have them coded?"
I didn't notice that...even on the 320i?

BTW, this is the F30 group and because of previous MYs, we will probably see that question asked for a looooong time.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
Finally no more halogens? I thought that Xenons would be standard and LEDs the upgrade. Nice touch.

·
Registered
897 Posts
As the old saying goes, better late than never. It's about time...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
But the Insurance Highway Institute says that the basic BMW LED lights are insufficient and grants a conditional approval to the adaptive lights.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Eh, I won't be surprised if they go back to halogens for the G20.

BMW addeth content as the model ages, and BMW taketh content away for new releases.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure it's the LED headlight package?? Or just the "angel eyes"?

Wasn't the LED package several thousand dollars?

Wow if that's true.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Are you sure it's the LED headlight package?? Or just the "angel eyes"?

Wasn't the LED package several thousand dollars?

Wow if that's true.
Its not the Lighting package. Just a set of LED headlights.
^this. The "basic" LED headlights are now standard across the F3x line for MY 2018. The fully adaptive LEDs are now a roughly $800 option. The adaptive LED headlights are not an option for the 320i.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
^this. The "basic" LED headlights are now standard across the F3x line for MY 2018. The fully adaptive LEDs are now a roughly $800 option. The adaptive LED headlights are not an option for the 320i.
OK so there is a difference between the adaptive LED headlights and the 'standard' LED headlights?

Are the standard ones still projectors with LED bulbs like my wife's Mazda?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
OK so there is a difference between the adaptive LED headlights and the 'standard' LED headlights?

Are the standard ones still projectors with LED bulbs like my wife's Mazda?

There is! Available now....at.....um.......Mercedes. Merc has a million LED prototype - lots of improvement to come but this looks at least as effective as motorized adaptive lamps BMW offers today.

https://youtu.be/0OJjvYPV3oc

·
Registered
245 Posts
Are they going to use the same halogen reflecting housing or will these LEDS use projection lenses?
This is the question... The halogen lamps didn't have to look this frumpy as they are on the F30, when many cars out there have halogens behind attractive projector lenses. With the LCI they looked even worse with the LED DRLs of a different color temperature.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts