BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nail puncture in one of my RFT with a slow leak and damaged the sidewall while driving. Decided to replace all 4 tires at once for non-RFT. Now I have four great tires, but no spare. What do folks advise about future flats? TireRack has a ContiComfortKit and local stores have aerosol cans of various stuff. Do they work?

·
ZHPper
2,126 Posts
Me too. After buying two and having a third fail in one year I bought four non-runflats and a pump...about the same price as one RF. I have heard bad stuff about the "goo"...it's hazardous for one thing and basically ruins your tire anyway... avoid it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. My winter tires from my last BMW were not RFT because I had a spare. I'd rather not buy all new tires if I can avoid it, but I'm not sure what to do about the spare. I've got a 12V air compressor, but that's not really a solution for a major puncture or something. I wish they hadn't moved to RFT on the entire lineup.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Runflats in the rear view mirror ..... a wonderful thing!

My tire dealer actually recommended the green goo and gives me road hazard for a small added charge.

That plus AAA and in the unlikely event that I'm disabled I'll get back to the tire shop and get a new tire if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I've solved my problem. My existing winter tires and rims don't fit over the calipers of my 335. I'm not shocked or surprised, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

I guess I'll be buying some RFT winters and wheels.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
I had a nail puncture in one of my RFT with a slow leak and damaged the sidewall while driving. Decided to replace all 4 tires at once for non-RFT. Now I have four great tires, but no spare. What do folks advise about future flats? TireRack has a ContiComfortKit and local stores have aerosol cans of various stuff. Do they work?
There is goo, and there is goo.

Goo de ContiComfortKit, she no crud TPMS sensors.

Many others do.

I got ContiComfortKit and can say it's worked wonders - not one flat.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
There is goo, and there is goo.

Goo de ContiComfortKit, she no crud TPMS sensors.

Many others do.

I got ContiComfortKit and can say it's worked wonders - not one flat.

Must have better karma than those BMW goo kits! I had to use the BMW kit twice with my E46 M3...both times in the pouring rain; but it worked (simple tread nail punctures).

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
It says right in the dealer instructions for this kit that it may damage TPMS sensors.
CORRECT! The "goo" may disable the TPMS...it's a risk that you take when you go to non-RFs. Our Beru TPMS in our car have a 'filter' that may not be easily cleaned out (I've never seen a "cleaning out" procedure). Nevertheless, The Tire Rack sells individual TPMS that are compatible with our OE TPMS...about $55+ the last time that I looked. Of course tire repair (?), dismounting, re-balancing, etc., could ramp this up to well over $100.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought new wheels and tires. I carry a 12-volt compressor and tire repair kit in the car. One of the run-flats that I took off is always aired-up in the garage in case I must replace one of the non-fun-flats and can't find one immediately in a tire shop. The entire set of run-flats is close by in case I want to change tire sets for an out-of-town trip. This doesn't solve EVERY conceivable misfortune, but I'm comfortable with the risk involved in enjoying a smoother, quieter ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's a good point - this is my first car with Run Flats. Do people normally carry the Conti kit in their car even with Run Flats, or is that just for people who switch to normal tires? I'm worried about being stranded with RFTs. Pretty sure I am going to order the kit. What do other people do?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
TPMS sensors are pretty cheap. Don't worry about it. They are valve stems withiin the car at the other end of the valve. They get replaced all the time. Goo 'em up all you want!!! They measure air pressure going out and have a sensor that sends a wah, wah signal to the TPMS system if it is under pressured. My son has it in his truck and had the tire replaced at Firestone. They said they reset it but Noooooo....they didn't do jack you-know-what! I fixed it myself. Stupid system (well, not for people that are morons with cars I guess).

I DO like the standby idea of the runflat backup in the garage. What kind of rim is it on? Where do I get one? Also, I'm going Continentals with a Conti Kit next. I fix morning flats for the neighborhood cars every week. Takes me 10 minutes. Teach your wife or GF. It's invaluable! I know all the wives and GFs in the neighborhood now. Guess what? LOL!

·
JSFG
259 Posts
I replaced my OEM Bridgestone run-flats with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s (non RFT) at 18,000 miles, bought the Conti kit; and I have been happy ever since. 35K miles now, and still about 30-40% tread left. Granted, I'm not that hard on tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts