Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have opted to replace your run flat tires with regular tires you (like me) will be scrambling to find a compact spare. Having no luck finding anything used in Canada, I ordered a 17 inch compact spare tire alloy rim (BMW part number 36-11-6-796-144. I bought it in the US from getbmwparts.com for $ 175. Then I bought the compact spare tire from Tire Rack. Tire is Khomo 135/90 17. Cost was $92. Overall not cheap, but it works.

·
LOVE MY BMW
367 Posts
thank you,that is good but too late for me as I bought a regular rim off ebay and mounted one of the run flats and good to go

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
When I converted to non-runflats I bought an emergency tire repair kit on Amazon and store it in my trunk. This one:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50107-Smart-Emergency-Repair/product-reviews/B0166BVK28

I've never had to use it, but the reviews are quite good and it avoids the need to sacrifice trunk space that a spare would require.

-cinergi
And I have both. The slime kit only for around town, and the spare tire is then put in the trunk for when I go out of town and may not be able to find a dealer/tire shop available that could replace the tire if it was too damaged to fix with the slime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perhaps this info will be useful for somebody looking for spare tire solution on F10/F11.

In my case i went with the following setup for my 2011 528i and worked for me. Might not work for some 535 or 550 due to larger brakes.
I couldn't find anything ready to go here in Toronto Canada, and I didn't want to pay for shipping from US otherwise I would probably get a spare setup from this link

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F10-KIT.html

As I mentioned you'll need to check brake clearance on your car.
And you can use tire size comparison to check tire radius difference https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/
Small variations are acceptable.

I got a used spare rim from BMW E60 model (it has the same bolt pattern as our F10s) and I used 135/90R17 rubber for this spare rim. Original spare rubber for e.60 is 135/80R17 which has a smaller rolling diameter than our F10s.( Based on tire size calculator its around 4.7% smaller). That's why I had to get a different rubber 135/90R17
I also got 15mm spacer and extended wheel bolts to accommodate the 15mm spacer for the spare which was needed to clear brakes on my car. As I mentioned you'll need to check if this setup will work for yours.
Overall cost for me was 50CAD for used E60 spare rim + 10CAD for used 135/90R17 rubber + 80CAD for 15 spacer and bolts. So total cost for me was $140 CAD.

PS I'm using 225/55R17 for winter tires and 245/45R18 for summer tires. Based on tire size calculate the variation between my summer/winter tires vs spare donut is around 0.4% which should be OK for short distance travel with lower speeds.

Some people also suggested to use spare wheel from certain year model X3, however I didn't explore that option

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tischer BMW in Maryland used to sell a spare tire kit. I think it was for about $300. Kit also included wheel chocks, jack and wrench.
I saved mine from my old 335 and when the weather gets nice (soon?) I will test fit it on my new 528.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts